Advice on starting a cold water tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kevfiz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi I am maybe in the wrong place as I guess a cold water is not classed as tropical but can anyone advise me on a cold water tank for example can I keep real plants in one? Always had a heated tank but I am thinking of changing

Cold water is sometimes misunderstood, unless you have an extremely cold climate or use a chiller in the tank. Otherwise, the tank water will be at room temperature, so that is the place to start.

As for plants, this partly depends upon the above. Most aquarium plants will do just as well at "cooler" temperatures if these are in the 60-75F/16-24C range.

Cool-water tanks are certainly doable with plants. Just do your research--plants have different environmental needs, just like different fish. Tell us more about what you have in mind.

Are you doing a heater -less tank or a coldwater- chiller required tank?

I have and have had several cold water tanks (heater less variety) and plants are possible so long as you don't have omnivore fish who lean towards the herbivore more than carnivore. For example, when I had goldfish they ate everything green other than anubias and Java Fern.

I currently have a cold water (unheated) 120 gallon with dojo/weather loaches, gold barbs and mascara barbs. Mascara barb lean towards plant eaters so the Italian and giant Val's I had in the tank are 80% gone or grazed to the substrate. I do have some Anubis in there, but they aren't as palatable as the Val's, so the barbs leave them be.

Last edited:
Hi I am maybe in the wrong place as I guess a cold water is not classed as tropical but can anyone advise me on a cold water tank for example can I keep real plants in one? Always had a heated tank but I am thinking of changing
Hello kev. Plants will do well in cooler water. I don't use heaters in any of my tanks. I simply keep my house at 77 degrees in the summer and 72 in the winter. Actually, most tropical fish and plants will be fine in slightly cooler water for the simple fact that cooler water retains oxygen more readily than warmer water. For healthy plants, get a four bulb shop light from the local hardware store and put in T5 bulbs at 5500 to 6500K (Kelvin). This level of light mimics natural daylight and will grow most aquatic plants.

10 Tanks

Hi all I am going to go heaterless. As the tank is empty now can anyone advise me how to get the stubborn algae of the tank?

Attachments

• 20230115_124759.jpg
    20230115_124759.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 18
Not sure what I'm seeing in the picture. To clean algae out of an empty tank, spray the tank down and scrape the algae off with an old credit card. Or use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser--the kind without any added chemicals. You can use a nylon scrubber too, but the other two options work just as well and won't scratch your glass.

Algae stains on the silicone are best left alone--you don't want to damage the silicone.

I always wipe down the tank with white vinegar and then I used a razor blade on any stubborn algae spots careful not to get too close to the silicone to damage it. So long as you keep your razor at about a 45° angle you're not going to be scratching the glass.

I am also keeping two heater-less fishtanks, and they are not as cold water as you would think.
My shrimp tank, with a lid in a home office reached 28C degrees last summer, since the heatwaves hit. The lowest it went to is 14 C this november when our heat went out, otherwise in early autumn it was 19C, now it is 22C stable
Same with the other tank but that one is too fresh, this one is not close to any window and close to an inside wall, so in summer I assume it wont go above 25, but time will show. At this very moment, after yesterdays water change (cold, direct from the tap, not recommending this to you) it is also 22C, just checked the thermometer. Moreover, unless your tank is in the garage or basement or some insulated room, regular housing and flats get super hot in the summer lately.

Most reactions

trending

Back