Advice On Apistogramma Tank Set-Up

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AquaPit

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

Based on my previous post, http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/438745-a-customised-tank/

I am going for the Apistogramma set up..

Tank size 90cm x 30 x 36(H)
97Litres
26US Gal

Details:
Soft, Acidic water
PH 6ish
25-28Deg Celcius
Sand Substrate
Lots of driftwood (some are cavelike)
A few low maintenance plants
Floating plants
Fluval external Filter

Intended Livestock:
Coral Red Pencilfish
Apistogramma
Rosy Tetra

Any suggestions or comments or advice, pls feel free to lash it out..

Tks

Looking at either Apistogramma Viejita or Apistogramma Macmasteri

It all sounds just fine for apistos, be aware though that even though they are smallish fish, you can't keep too many of them. A trio would probably be best. Two males, even different species will probably fight.

Munroco said:
It all sounds just fine for apistos, be aware though that even though they are smallish fish, you can't keep too many of them. A trio would probably be best. Two males, even different species will probably fight.
Tks!

So the stocking wise will be just a trio of one Apistogramma species? 2F, 1M?

There will be no space for The Red Coral Pencilfish?

Any advice on the stocking level for the tank? TIA!

My stock plan:
- 1pair of Apistogramma Viejita (1M,1F)
- 10 Coral Red Pencilfish

Thinking of customising a bigger tank, just slightly though(due to space constraints)

New size
100cm x W 35cm x H 45cm (158 Litres)
42 US Gallons

Are there anymore space to add fishes?

Start with the other fish and add the apistos last. This will allow the other fish to establish first. Also, you may have to buy multiple apistos and let them pair off to get a good breeding pair or trio.

AquaPit said:

Tks!

So the stocking wise will be just a trio of one Apistogramma species? 2F, 1M?

There will be no space for The Red Coral Pencilfish?

Any advice on the stocking level for the tank? TIA!

I meant only 3 apistos, and that they would likely fight with other species of apistos. The other fish should be fine. There will be room for a few more fish too, possibly another shoal of smaller fish. Tetras maybe?

CSnyder00 said:
Start with the other fish and add the apistos last. This will allow the other fish to establish first. Also, you may have to buy multiple apistos and let them pair off to get a good breeding pair or trio.
Okay cool! Tks..
I meant only 3 apistos, and that they would likely fight with other species of apistos. The other fish should be fine. There will be room for a few more fish too, possibly another shoal of smaller fish. Tetras maybe?
Yeah! I am thinking Rosy Tetras?

I concur with most of what has been stated in this thread.  With respect to the Apistogramma, I certainly agree it is wise to select a pair that have bonded if just a pair are intended; if you can acquire a male and two or three females, he can likely select his mate.  However, then you have the problem of the other two that will likely be mercilessly hounded.  I have gone through this with several species of dwarf cichlid.  And as Neil said, only one species in this small a tank (both options are "small" to the fish).

As for "dither" fish, the coral red pencils (Nannostomus mortenthaleri) are an excellent choice.  If the larger tank (42 gallons) is a definite, a group of seven or eight Rosy Tetra (Hyphessobrycon rosaceus) should work.  As a suggestion, you might want to consider another different-coloured characin to contrast more with the brilliant pencils.  Upper-level fish are well suited here, as the cichlids will be lower-level (they are benthopelagic) and the N. mortenthaleri sort of mid-level.

Hatchetfish in the Carnegiella genus are ideal; or another pencil, Nannostomus eques, which swims at an oblique angle and remains in the upper level.  With either, a group of 7 to 9.

The aquascape sounds perfect.  My one suggestion for an addition would be dried leaves.  Though the mentioned fish come from different areas, the habitats are strikingly similar and both have leaf litter and wood.

Byron.

Byron said:
I concur with most of what has been stated in this thread.  With respect to the Apistogramma, I certainly agree it is wise to select a pair that have bonded if just a pair are intended; if you can acquire a male and two or three females, he can likely select his mate.  However, then you have the problem of the other two that will likely be mercilessly hounded.  I have gone through this with several species of dwarf cichlid.  And as Neil said, only one species in this small a tank (both options are "small" to the fish).

As for "dither" fish, the coral red pencils (Nannostomus mortenthaleri) are an excellent choice.  If the larger tank (42 gallons) is a definite, a group of seven or eight Rosy Tetra (Hyphessobrycon rosaceus) should work.  As a suggestion, you might want to consider another different-coloured characin to contrast more with the brilliant pencils.  Upper-level fish are well suited here, as the cichlids will be lower-level (they are benthopelagic) and the N. mortenthaleri sort of mid-level.

Hatchetfish in the Carnegiella genus are ideal; or another pencil, Nannostomus eques, which swims at an oblique angle and remains in the upper level.  With either, a group of 7 to 9.

The aquascape sounds perfect.  My one suggestion for an addition would be dried leaves.  Though the mentioned fish come from different areas, the habitats are strikingly similar and both have leaf litter and wood.

Byron.
Much appreciated Byron!

I am already into my first step, bought a brand new API Water Test Kit! And already book the 42US Gallon tank!

Patience is the Key this time.. I am gonna do it properly and with advices like yours, I am definitely assured of a proper guidance!

Lookout for my journal soon!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back