Advice & Help Please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

chigwellhammer

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just got back from lfs with a new gourami anyway added it to my tank and my gold Gourami keeps going for it, chasing it all round the tank
Gold Gourami
d6441347a7e6c1a28bff633c1d08b68a.jpg

New guy
4c57e8317e7fdbd6e92eba68ea3f8254.jpg

What should i do??

Well that's normal for it to chase the new one since it has established itself first so it views the new one as an intruder for now. Give it a few days and it'll be okay. For now just provide hiding places and break their line of sight with more plants

Well i did trap the new moonlight but i have now let him out and its still same after every few min the gold one chases him

May want to take the gold one out, rearrange the tank, and then add it back.

Touch wood the last hour or so he has calmed down just if they bump into each other the gold one then turns and gives him a chaise

I just hope i don't wake up tomorrow with a dead fish :(

Better photo of my new friend
62318398dae33a95169987707158dd54.jpg

Can you get another pic of your gold? I'd think if they're both males that would be part of the problem.
Males have a pointed dorsal fin & females have a rounded one.

I'm glad they're settling down a bit though. Hopefully everything turns out well.

They're both males.
no.gif

Although not very surprising, it's extremely rare to find a female 3spot-variant gourami. Even ones that have shorter fins eventually become males when not exposed to a bunch of other fish's hormones.

If you have a really big tank (50g+), they might work it out. Otherwise one will be bullied while the other cowers for fear of its life. The bully is relentless and will chase the other through anything that you can throw in the tank aside from a physical wall.

Thanks for confirming gender, Ive watched closely and the gold has calmed down a lot still gives the odd chase but no way as bad when they first net

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back