Advice for new 55g tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishBR

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First post from a new member. I would like to receive feedback about plans for a new 55 gallon (208 liters) tank. First, some personal background. I kept fish tanks when I was a teenager (that was a long time ago!) and then in 2011, after decades with no fish, decided to pursue my dream of having a group of wild discus. At the time I was living in Brazil and started with a group of 6 wild Cuipeuas. I got two confirmed pairs from that group and I was able to raise a batch of 50 beautiful babies. Spawning wild discus was the highlight of my fishkeeping days. Later in 2014, after I moved to New Orleans, I went back to keeping wild discus. I got a few confirmed pairs but was not able to keep the fry alive. I had a great time with them, though. My experiences with wild discus have been documented in my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DiscosBR

I am currently setting up a 55g Southeast Asia tank. No interest in keeping discus this time. I don’t want to deal with RO filters, frequent water changes, and I don’t have the cash to buy expensive equipment and fish. I did have a SE Asia tank (kind of) before:

I want to build a similar setup, with pool filter sand as substrate, plants, a center piece of Manzanita driftwood, and a dark blue background.

Here are some of the fish I plan to have:

Odessa Barb – group of 6
Harlequin Rasbora – Group of 6
Panda Garra – Group of 6
Kuhli Loach or Dwarf Chain Loach – Group of 6
Forktail Blue-Eye or Neon Blue-Eye – Group of 6
Glass Catfish – Group of 6
Empire Gudgeon – One pair

(I know the Empire Gudgeon comes from Australia, but wanted to try them).

The main issue is that tap water in New Orleans is very hard and alkaline. I just tested the water and here are the results:

PH 8.4
GH 14 (251 ppm)
KH 7 (125 ppm)

Has anyone some experience with the fish listed, especially in hard water?

Also, I read a few posts and articles about Odessa Barbs and some say their color pops up when you use dark substrate. Is it true? Can you recommend a dark substrate that would be low maintenance?

Thanks,

Mauro

I would not get kuhlis with that water hardness. But some others can take harder water... water is too hard for chain loaches, but if you can bring it down about 50ppm with a mix of RO, you would be in their hardness range...

Odessa barbs are good in your water parameters.
Some rainbowfish would be too

In a tank this size I would go for bigger numbers of the shoaling fish.

The water is also a bit too hard for harlequin rasboras, glass catfish and panda garras I'm afraid. But it's fine for the gudgeons and blue eyes.

In case you have not found it yet, the best site for fish research is https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ This site is written by experts unlike many sites which are written by people who just keep fish and have little actual knowledge.

Hello and welcome :)
I really liked the SE Asia tank and the labels / captions. Looking forward to more!

The Blue Eyes like a quiet life. I’m wary of putting em in with guppy’s as even their semi rowdy lifestyle may be too much. SF recommends small peaceful tank mates.
No life in the fast lane types I’m afraid and those Odessa boys can get a bit rock n roll I believe. Just wish my tank was big enough for Odessas as they’re gorgeous.

Have to agree. As well as being better for the fish groups of at least 12 will look much more effective, even if you have fewer species. I have a group of 14 dwarf chain loach. I used to have 6. Based on their behaviour you would not even think they are the same species. Oh and they are very much life in the fast lane when the mood takes them.

I would not get kuhlis with that water hardness. But some others can take harder water... water is too hard for chain loaches, but if you can bring it down about 50ppm with a mix of RO, you would be in their hardness range...

Odessa barbs are good in your water parameters.
Some rainbowfish would be too

Thanks. I will not use RO, so I am replacing the loaches by a cute little catfish that comes from hard water (Asian Stone Catfish).

Have to agree. As well as being better for the fish groups of at least 12 will look much more effective, even if you have fewer species. I have a group of 14 dwarf chain loach. I used to have 6. Based on their behaviour you would not even think they are the same species. Oh and they are very much life in the fast lane when the mood takes them.

Thanks. I will increase the school numbers (see below).

The water is also a bit too hard for harlequin rasboras, glass catfish and panda garras I'm afraid. But it's fine for the gudgeons and blue eyes.

Thanks. I have kept Harlequins and Panda Garras in tap water before, so I am giving them another try. I am giving up the Glass Catfish, though.

In case you have not found it yet, the best site for fish research is https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ This site is written by experts unlike many sites which are written by people who just keep fish and have little actual knowledge.

Thanks. It is a great resource indeed.

Hello and welcome :)

Thank you :)

I really liked the SE Asia tank and the labels / captions. Looking forward to more!

Thank you. I will keep everyone posted. It will take a while, though. I still have to setup and cycle the tank.

The Blue Eyes like a quiet life. I’m wary of putting em in with guppy’s as even their semi rowdy lifestyle may be too much. SF recommends small peaceful tank mates.

No life in the fast lane types I’m afraid and those Odessa boys can get a bit rock n roll I believe. Just wish my tank was big enough for Odessas as they’re gorgeous.

Thank you. I will read more about Blue Eyes. Looks like an amazing fish. Odessas look beautiful indeed.

So, after this first round of feedback, here is the stocking plans for the 55 gallon:

Odessa Barb – Group of 8
Harlequin Rasbora – Group of 8
Panda Garra – Group of 6
Forktail Blue-Eye or Neon Blue-Eye – Group of 8
Asian Stone Catfish (Hara jerdoni) – Group of 9
Empire Gudgeon – Two pairs

Any thought and recommendations about substrate?

Sand, the stone catfish will require that :)

I know! But, as I wrote, I read a few posts and articles about Odessa Barbs and some say their color pops up when you use dark substrate. I am not sure is that is true. Anyway, I might replace pool filter sand by a darker substrate. Any recommendations?

Id go with a nice sooty grey sand, not quite black black, but still nice and dark

There are two factors involved in the issue of the substrate colour; one obviously is the colour tone of the sand itself, but the other is the overhead tanklight. This can reflect off the substrate, and the lighter (whiter) the substrate the more brighter it becomes with the reflected light. Fish do not appreciate light/bright substrates because it is completely unnatural. Never use white. A buff or grey due is natural, and with the addition of chunks of dark brown wood, dried leaves, even dark rock, depending upon the habitat recreation, this is less bright. Floating plants shade it more, and this too is natural to most though not every SE Asian biotope.

I would suggest black rather than that bright blue for the background; it will allow the fish and plant colours to really show nicely.

I know! But, as I wrote, I read a few posts and articles about Odessa Barbs and some say their color pops up when you use dark substrate. I am not sure is that is true. Anyway, I might replace pool filter sand by a darker substrate. Any recommendations?
Black diamond blasting sand is a great substrate if one is looking for a black substrate. Its inert, inexpensive, about 7.00$ for 50 pounds, requires minimal rinsing and is perfectly suited for anchoring live plants.

Id go with a nice sooty grey sand, not quite black black, but still nice and dark

I would suggest black rather than that bright blue for the background; it will allow the fish and plant colours to really show nicely.

Thanks. I am between dark and grey, but black might fit better.

There are two factors involved in the issue of the substrate colour; one obviously is the colour tone of the sand itself, but the other is the overhead tanklight. This can reflect off the substrate, and the lighter (whiter) the substrate the more brighter it becomes with the reflected light. Fish do not appreciate light/bright substrates because it is completely unnatural. Never use white. A buff or grey due is natural, and with the addition of chunks of dark brown wood, dried leaves, even dark rock, depending upon the habitat recreation, this is less bright. Floating plants shade it more, and this too is natural to most though not every SE Asian biotope.

The light will be a Marineland LED fixture. It is not too strong. Floating plants is an interesting idea. It will not be a biotope, but will have mostly SE Asian fish.

Black diamond blasting sand is a great substrate if one is looking for a black substrate. Its inert, inexpensive, about 7.00$ for 50 pounds, requires minimal rinsing and is perfectly suited for anchoring live plants.

Where to buy BDBS? Is there a particular product/brand that is used? I would appreciate a link.

Thank you all.

Thanks. I am between dark and grey, but black might fit better.

The light will be a Marineland LED fixture. It is not too strong. Floating plants is an interesting idea. It will not be a biotope, but will have mostly SE Asian fish.

Where to buy BDBS? Is there a particular product/brand that is used? I would appreciate a link.

Thank you all.
Black diamond blasting sand is the brand. Can be found at Tractor supply stores. Usually in 3 grit sizes.i use 20/40 grit which is medium grit and the most commonly used in fish tanksm Can get it on Amazon as well.
Other hardware stores sometimes have it.

Last edited:
Black diamond blasting sand is the brand. Can be found at Tractor supply stores. Usually in 3 grit sizes.i use 20/40 grit which is medium grit and the most commonly used in fish tanksm Can get it on Amazon as well.
Other hardware stores sometimes have it.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back