Adding Fish Questions....rainbows

Faythee

Fish Herder
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
1,039
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Florida, USA
I want 6-8 for my 75 gal. tank. The LFS has a few kinds and I will likely be safer to get whichever are the largest. I don't think my Tinfoil Barbs will mind. I haven't added anything new since the Severum so not sure how he will react. My Opaline Gourami will absolutely chase them for a day. Do they swim fast ? Would it be better to try just 2 at first or will they actually be safer in a group added all at once ? Thanks !
 
They are quite fast IMO. The opaline shouldn't be a problem, especially if the rainbow is bigger than it. I kept mine with a ram, who despite his best efforts, could never bite them cuz their sides were too flat. He always tried so hard to keep them away from the food, but the rainbows would push him right out of the way :lol: . Rainbows love food and will brave just about anything to get it.
 
Get a group, they are schooling fish, and if you get 5+ it will decrease stress levels.
But they can pretty much outswim most of your fish.
 
Rainbows are great fish, when adults their colouring is fantastic. i have 3 boseman's in with my Opaline as well as 2 dwarf rainbows. and they all get on great, the Guamri doesn't really bother any of them them and all the rainbows can swim very fast. i doubt you will find a rainbow larger than the Opaline unless he is a juvi still but ultimately he will soon outgrow the boseman's, however as said Ive never had any compatibility issues with my rainbows and Opaline.
 
Thank you ! I bought 5 of them and will be getting more. They really added beauty to the tank and all fish are getting along just fine. I get paranoid. Nothing worse than adding a fish and creating havoc !
 

Most reactions

Back
Top