Adding convict in with kribs

impur

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Well i have my 29 gal up and running with my 3spot gourami, 6 tetras, and 2 kribs(a male and a female). The kribs have been in the tank about a week and i wanted to move my 2" female pink con to the 29. She is slightely bigger than the male krib but not by much. So, i added her first to see what happened. The kribs began just kicking the crap out of her. So i took the male krib out, changed the decor around and after i was done moving, the female krib who is about an inche smaller than the con, was still relentless in attacking the con. So out came the female krib. I changed the decor again, and after about 2 hours of sitting in containers, i added the kribs. Immediately they went to biting and thrashing the con. I eventually removed the con back to the 55 till i come up with something.

Funny thing is, the con will regularly stand up or attack my 6" JD. She won't take anything from my 8" GT either. But she wouldn't stand up to the smaller kribs. I really would like to have the con in this tank and any ideas on making this work would be appreciated!!!!

A pair of any cichlids will tear the hell out of any fish even twice their size in some instances, even when it comes to non-aggro cichlids like this.

Cons are aggro sometimes when single and almosty always when breeding.

Cichlids are the best of parents there are and almost all will kill or die to protect their brood.

You have a single con against a breeding pair of kribs. In all actuality, the con "should" win in most cases in fights between the two. The problem arises tho when the con has nothing to fight for tho. In the wild he would just swim off to never be seen again, in the aquarium he can only go so far. The kribs are protecting what's theirs and will die to do so. The con has no reason to fight and would rather not at this time. In the fish world, unlike here with us humans, you fight to the death or swim away, those are the only 2 options. The kribs are protecting their future offspring and the con could care less about any of these happenings going on and just wants to be left alone.

Nothing you do other than seperation can change the minds of your fish and make this happen when there is breeding or fry present.

there is no breeding or fry. The 2 kribs don't even share the same cave. You think they are just staking the entire tank as a territory until the find the right place to spawn?

Think if i get 2 male kribs or 2 female kribs instead of one of each i will be able to pull it off?

Most reactions

Back