Addicted to corry cats

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

knutty

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon tank that is partially planted. I made some shale/petrified rock caves.. it is a pretty nifty setup. I have had many varieties of fish, but i have to say that my favorite has been the corry cats. They are always so fun to watch. So, recognizing my problem, I went out and got some more. Now I have 3 large emerald green, 2 medium panda, and 2 medium bronze aneus corry cats. With them, plus the 2 plecos, nothing hits the bottom of my tank =). I will get some pics taken and get them in. I jsut thought that i would share how much happiness has come from those littel buggers, that most assume to serve only as a utility.

i know the feeling. i only have four pandas right now, but plan to put some juliis and some paleatus in another 10 gal and a 20 gal that are both in the works right now. they are jsut so cute and fun to watch. and even though my pandas are barely and inch right now, they don't take any crap from my crabby mollies. i'm even considering getting a three or five gallon JUST to hold cories :lol:

i rigged a moonlightb system for night. it casts a slight blue light down into the tank. it is really fun to watch them at night. i dont seem to have any fighters in the bunch. I have 3 swortails, 2 mollies, 2 rainbow sharks, the corries, and the plecos. seems pretty peaceful. always moving- the tank could make you dizzy

I've never seen a cory cat that wasn't peaceful and friendly, Knutty. :D

They have become my favorites of all the fish I have. In fact they seem to be taking over. I have one 10 gallon just for them, 2 10 gallons of cory fry, and they are in all my other tanks (except the one with goldfish) as well.

Many A Molly, I suggest you forget about a 5 gallon tank for the corys; go right to a 10 gallon one. There are so many nice corys that you'll be glad you did. :)

Among egg layers, corys are easy to breed, too. It is a great experience to see them hatch and grow up! :nod:

tell me more about breeding the corries, IE what do i need to do should i spot fry/eggs ?

If you want to breed your cory's Knutty, I suggest you set up a 10 gallon ( or larger) tank to do it in because the eggs and/or fry will get eaten by the other fish in your community tank.

If the temperature in your tank is high, you will probably not get eggs, but if your corys are mature, turning off the heater is apt to get them started laying. Since you won't want to do this with the other fish in the tank, it is another good reason to put them in their own tank to breed. In their natural state, corys breed when run-off water enters their streams and drops the temperature of the water. This is the time of year when food is plentiful for the fry. What you will be doing by lowering the temperature is duplicating their natural environment.

After they are laid, they will hatch in 3 to 4 days. The cory's are good parents and don't usually eat the eggs or fry, but because they are big and when they swim around all the fry go flying, I remove them just before the eggs hatch.

What sexes are your corys?

Most reactions

Back