Add some colour

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

robert1305

Reaction score
I have a well planted tank but its all green and I would like to add some colour what are good plants to buy and where online should I buy them, also I would like a good floating plant that doest obstruct too much light.
Regards Bob

Red leaf plants are red because they reflect red light. Since red light is the primary light to drive photosynthesis (along with blue but red is the more important) the tanklighting generally has to be more intense for red plants, which is one reason they melt away so often. And with more intense lighting, CO2 becomes a possible issue.

There is a species of crypt, Cryptocoryne undulata, that is brownish-red; I had this years ago and it did well without the brighter light, and it does provide some contrast.The lanceolate crinkled leaves of this species may be chocolate brown, olive green, or reddish-brown on the upper-side and a rosy copper on the underside. A height of six inches makes this a beautiful contrasting plant in the fore- to mid-ground of the aquarium.

The floating plants like duckweed and Salvinia will obstruct light less than the more substantial plants, though you lose the nice submerged root effect which fish love to browse for food. Some stem plants left floating can work too, and it is easy to thin them oout regularly.

I like to just leave anacharis floating. It’s sucks up nitrates and still allow some light in. I just started with frogbit but it can cover the surface. You may have to thin it. A lot of people like water sprite but it didn’t last long for me. Guppy grass is pretty too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back