A Warning For All Cold Cathode Users

The-Wolf

Ex-LFS manager/ keeper of over 30 danio species
Joined
May 26, 2004
Messages
11,145
Reaction score
13
Points
38
Location
Kent UK
be very careful that the invertors you are using are suitable for the job.
my recent purchase, from ebay, came with an invertor that stopped working after 30 mins use.
I was sent a replacement, at no cost to me, but this overheated and caught fire (see pic).
I'd hate to think what could've happened if this started when I was out or asleep.

I suggest that you all go check yours now to see how hot they are, if in doubt switch it off.

For leagal reasons I'm not sayin who I brought it from, so don't ask.

Edit to add pic
5dab9949.jpg
 
jees you where lucky to have been around, if you were asleep or out this would of been a very different post.

I always check electrical items for heat and if in doubt i turn them off just not worth the risk
 
This is why if its not intended for aquarium use you shouldnt use things unless you are a quallifid electrician and know better. Lucky escape there wolf, life is all too fragile and you never know when accidents will happen.
 
Wow, close escape.
CFC - I thought they were fine to use in aquariums, and they are used for other things such as neon lights on cars and are on all the time.
I was going to buy these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-AQUARIUM-LED-LIG...oQQcmdZViewItem
As it says they dont heat up etc.. so i presumed they would be safe..
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back
Top