A Shrimp Diary.....

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MoreCoffee

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok this will be a diary of my attempt to raise young Amano shrimp from egg to adult.

It may end in total disaster, in which case this diary will be quite short. I'm hoping to get at least some of them through to adult, however I start with practically no knowledge on the subject

Background:
During the recent spell of hot weather in the UK, my 130L Tropiquarium started to suffer from the heat and some of the plants Intook a turn for the worse and I decided to remove them. Typical water temp duing this time was about 80 degs (+/- 2 degs).

Shortly after this I noticed a female Caridina japonica (Amano) shrimp carrying what looked like a fully load of eggs.

Links: I've found the following links useful during this

Salinity converter (SG to PPT)
http://www.reefs.org/survey/salinity_conversion.html
Very useful for us 'non-salty' types when trying to relate Specific Gravity to Parts Per Thousand of salt.

Amano Shrimp:
http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/breeding_yamato.htm - Very good article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/profiles/8_20_en.html
http://caridina.japonica.online.fr/English/
http://caridinajaponicabreeding.blogspot.com/

Bloo's thread http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=132630
This thread of Bloo's was the catalyst that encouraged me to give it a try. (Many thanks Bloo)

OK I'll start with a brain dump of everything I've done so far.

Comments/advice/suggestions are always welcome !

=============================================================
Sat 29 Jul:
Shortly after removing the plants I noticed one of the shrimp carrying a large mass of dark grey/green eggs. I've had shrimp in the tank for just over 4 months. This was the first time I've seen one of the shrimp laden with eggs.

Unclear if this was due to any or all of the following:-
> Female shrimp reaching maturity (I suspect this is the reason - but only a guess)
> Increase in water temp due to recent hot weather Or
> Just noticed this for the first time as there are now far less plants in the tank. Maybe it's been going on before and I'd missed it !

Sun 30 Jul:
I already know that hatching the eggs and raising the young is not
Easy and requires salt water fo the young to survive.
Over and above that, I know very little.
Time to start trawling the web for some info and posting a few questions. See the links at the top of this post.

Mon 31 Jul:
Whilst checking on the female with eggs, I noticed I now have a Second egg carrying female - this complicates things a little, but should be able to cope with both batches as they are so close together.

I now have a better idea on how to attempt to raise these shrimp. After much reading, I've decided to go for a full marine salinity (30-35ppt) rather than brackish (17ppt).
Prepared a 5Gal isolation tank with 50% tap and 50% water from main tank. This tank is my standby hospital tank and will be used only for the females to lay the eggs.

As I dont have a marine tank or any experience/equipment for measuring the salinity I contacted a LFS that keeps marine fish. They can supply me with RO mixed salt water (for a small charge). Feeding the larvae requires phytoplankton/greenwater.
For this I have decided to try Kent Plytoplex (
http://www.kentmarine.com/saltwater/ppx.html) it seems ideally suited to the job, but time will tell.

Tues 01 Aug: to Fri 04 Aug:
I had planned to move the shrimp to the isolation tank today, but it
seems the heater was defective. Down to the LFS for a new 25W heater, also picked up a small air pump. I'll leave the tank to get up to temp for 24 hours, the shrimp dont look like they are about to drop the eggs, I've read they can carry them for a number of weeks (4 - 6), but I don’t know how long they've already carried them for.

The female shrimp were moved to the isolation tank today (02 Aug).
The tank is 5Gal, has and 11W light, has no substrate and just a small artificial rock and piece of bogwood with moss attached. They seem to have settled in OK and are acting normally

No noticeable change in females. Collected saltwater from LFS (SG 1021 / 30ppt)
Kent Phytoplex arrived (ebay).

Setup larvae tank. 10Ltrs saltwater, airpump with tube clamped to control airflow.
Placed in kitchen window with natural sunglight and added some Phytoplex.

Sat 05 Aug: to Tues 8 Aug:
There has been a noticeable change in one of the females. The eggs are a much lighter colour (light brown/tan)

I have enough equipment to run at least one more (maybe another 2) saltwater larvae growing tanks. I’ll set the others up and split the larvae between them, then if one tank fails I still have a chance with the others

Overall I think I move the females over to the isolation tank a little early. They can carry eggs for a number of weeks. I should maybe have waited until the egg were a light colour.

Well I’ll get a chance to put that theory to the test. Just noticed a third female laden with eggs. She’ll remain in the main tank for now and move when the eggs change colour.

I now have 3 nano lavae tanks ready to go. 2 x 10L 1 x 8L
The eggs on one female are certainly much lighter and I can see small black dots in the middle. I’m sure this means things are getting closer. The second female's eggs also seem to be turning a lighter colour.
=============================================================

I I'll try post a couple of pics of the shrimp and the setup I'm using.

Update in a few days time ... unless anything happens !

Al

Sounds fantastic ! And I hope to learn something from you - but I'm very sure I will !!

Wishing you all the best and putting this thread on my watch list :good:

Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted.

Bloo .... Thanks. If I get them as far as you did I'll feel I've achieved something ! If I get them further I'll be very happy (if not a little amazed). It was reading your thread that convinced me to have a go.

Updates may be a little slow until the eggs actually hatch, but then things should move along quite quickly.
Dont expect any clear pics of the microscopic larvae though ... my camera just isn't up to it !

No eggs hatched at the moment, so here's a few pics until something happens.

The Eggs:
eggs1.jpg

You can just make out some dark dots in some of these eggs, hard to see in the pic, but they are there !
eggs2.jpg

The isolation (hatching) tank: Plain and simple to aid collecting the larvae. As soon as any eggs hatch the small internal filter will be switched off.
hatchery.jpg

The snails have now been removed !

The shrimp nursery: Ready and waiting.
nursery.jpg

The two larger (10Ltr) tanks contain saltwater and phytoplankton (phytoplex). One a few days old (green) and one a new batch. The smaller tank is just saltwater. Hopefully having plankton tanks at diffent stages will give me a little flexibility.

looks great ! I've possibly mentioned it already, but when they "hatch" she just releases a little zoe every few seconds. There are many more in there than you could possibly imagine. And they just look like tiny specks in the water, so watch closely ;)
If in doubt, set up a strong light next to the base of the tank, and check the area closest to the light. That's where the zoes will be :)

Edit: and that little light next to the smaller tanks will not be enough - I'm quite sure. You'll need a fluorescent tube. You can just put a single one right above (resting on) the top of the glass units.

How will you keep the temperature constant in those small glass units ?

looks great ! I've possibly mentioned it already, but when they "hatch" she just releases a little zoe every few seconds. There are many more in there than you could possibly imagine. And they just look like tiny specks in the water, so watch closely ;)
If in doubt, set up a strong light next to the base of the tank, and check the area closest to the light. That's where the zoes will be :)

Edit: and that little light next to the smaller tanks will not be enough - I'm quite sure. You'll need a fluorescent tube. You can just put a single one right above (resting on) the top of the glass units.

How will you keep the temperature constant in those small glass units ?

Bloo, Thanks for your interest.......

The small tanks have been moved to a warmer location in the house and are now insulated to help keep them warm, I'm monitoring the temp as it seems to be OK (thankfully it's not winter).

As for the light .... the little one is much brighter than it looks in the pic, its a 50W halogen desk lamp.
There are also now 2 flourescent desk lamps over the other tanks, but these are only 11W each..
I have another 2ft luminaire with 2 x 36W T5 tubes in as an option if I need extra light, but I need that on
another tank until the weekend, then it can be moved as required.

Hopefully not too much longer to wait before seeing some zoe's.

Cheers
Al

This is very informative. I will be watching this thread to see how things go. I have always had an interest in shrimp, but dont have the tank space right now to set one up. Keep us updated and the more pictures, the better :good:

Dont know if this helps but i read on a site somewhere that the zoes are attracted to light and its best to like cover the sides of the tank with black material as they are drawn to the light and all get squished together. I cant remember the site so i dont know how helpful that is. Obviously they still had a light directly above.

Dont know if this helps but i read on a site somewhere that the zoes are attracted to light and its best to like cover the sides of the tank with black material as they are drawn to the light and all get squished together. I cant remember the site so i dont know how helpful that is. Obviously they still had a light directly above.

Mikster,
Many thanks for the reply. All information welcome !

I've also read that bit of info and am ready to blackout the sides as soon as I see some zoes hatching.
I'm planning on just running 2 tanks with zoes, the third tank will just be a standby with some saltwater and phytoplankton .... sort of a backup food supply if needed !

Whilst I'm posting .... 11 Aug: No change. Both females in the hatching tank seem happy and feeding well, no sign of any zoes ..... trust me I'm looking closely.
If you could see me and my magnifying glass checking that tank :S

Cheers
Al

:lol: can just imagine Al!

I keep watching waiting to hear the news ;)

Fri 11 Aug: to Sun 13 Aug:
Still no eggs, however I've found 2 more egg carrying females in the main tank.
My male Gourami was taking an unhealthy interest in one of them, he has never shown any interest in any other shrimp and is not at all bothered by those without eggs.
Anyway I decided to move them both over to the hatching tank for safety.

I now have a total of 5 females with a full load of eggs :blink:

Al

Good luck mate :good: . I've read how hard it is to raise the larvae. Bet you'll have success, your setup looks great.

:D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back