90w Heater

<30 gallon ideally it does depend on brand and water movement though. I was using a 50W in 13 gallons when they are advised for 15 gallons max and It wasn't powerful enough to keep the temps I wanted so swapped to my spare 150W which is in turn to powerful and may heat the water too rapidly for my fish will see what happens.
 
Heater should be fine for that tank but if your buying the heater new I would get 150W however if you have a 90W laying around it should be sufficient.
my mum wouldnt let me have a heater thet big because it costs more she only just let me get a 90w i wanted a 100w but this was as high as she would go
 
It doesn't cost any more the heater only turns on when the thermostat tells it to. A 90W heater will actually be on longer then a 150W heater would be on as the thermostat would need to wait long for the cut off temperature to be reached and turn off the heating elements. You would have to do some number crunching but I would suspect the 90W would be found to be more inefficient heating up that much water then a 125 or 150W. The heat capacity of water off the top of my head (so you would need to check this yourself, I did an exam a couple of weeks ago with this in I am not geeky enough to remember this figure normally) is 4.18j/k you would then need to convert wattage into joules but its all simple calculations.
 
would this stock work
2 honey gouramis
3 mollys
3 platys
3 guppies
5 corys
a bn pleco
some threadfin rainbows
would tha be fully stocked
 
The tank will be ok upstairs provided it is put along the length of the floor crossbeams so that multiple beams are supporting it. You can have a 30" of fully grown fish and they will need to be added at 5-6 per week to ensure the filter can cope. You should know what the max sizes of these fishes are as you have researched them thoroughly..... From first glance I think you will be overstocked with those fish numbers, I am not sure on water condition compatibility.

They are all compatible from a behavioural aspect as they are peaceful the babies of the live bearers are unlikely to survive though due to predation. You may get a couple from each spawn which are good enough hiders to reach adulthood provided the tank is well planted but don't expect a population explosion to quickly. Platies are notorious fry eaters. The mollys may need salt in their water you should ask the LFS you are receiving them from how they are kept by the breeder and by them as most are kept in FW by the aquatic industry negating the need for salt but strictly wild type need salt and if the fry grew up in these conditions they will require it to.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top