9 Days Till The End Of The World

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Known about this for years - if you read further into it (my god, the sun? :p) scientists have comfirmed that they would appear and dissapear (if indeed they even appeared) far too quickly to do any damage.

Nobody knows if they will disappear though! Its a step into the unknown

Reading further into it:

Even if one did not take into account the fact that each black hole would slow down every time it gobbled up a proton, and thus suck down matter at an even slower rate, "about 100 protons would be destroyed every year by such a black hole, so it would take much more than the age of universe to destroy even one milligram of Earth material," Landsberg concluded. "It's quite hard to destroy the Earth."

Nothing to fear, really. It's not something new for particle accelerators to create black holes, just that the LHC will be able to do it often enough to actually study. It may have been done on a dozen or more occasions already, the first I read about was five years or so ago. The problem is, they're barely above plank mass and their event horizon is too small to observe at all (not just with our current technology), so they lose mass to Hawking radiation faster than it's possible for them to absorb mass. They don't even exist long enough to observe directly.

The only thing 'thesun' is good for is page3 :sly: and most would agree.

You know, people have been predicting the end of the world since man has been cognizant of the world around him. Personally, I'll believe it when it happens, rather narrow-minded I know, but I have little things to worry about. :lol:

I read a retraction from one of the leaders of the "scientists" who protested the LHC today.

It's actually pretty funny, and really shows how little they know about the system that they're apologizing for being wrong so soon.

All that's happened so far is that the magnetic field has been fired up to make sure it wouldn't pull passing airplanes out of the sky or fry every computer within fifty miles. Then comes tests firing particle beams in both directions but no collisions. The first collisions won't be until the end of October, and they will be at a fraction of capacity (putting them below the top existing particle accelerators out there and unable to produce singularities).

If the LHC is going to destroy the world or start sucking time travelers out of the future (which is what some Russian physicist claims), it's not going to be for a few months.

Damn, and I was so looking forwards to it..... and the after planet party to follow... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back