55g...

cuticom

Fish Addict
Joined
Oct 22, 2006
Messages
992
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia
Long story short Mum lost her last goldie the other day, but doesn't want to pull down her 55 (not the one in my sig), but she also doesn't want to put $100 worth of fish in there if we change it to tropical.

No fish would be added till after it's sterilised, but what would you do with a 55g tank with about $50 for the fish?

I'm playing with the idea of just getting an S.A cichlid or two like a couple of blue acaras, but not sure.....

Any ideas welcome.....
 
If it was my tank then it would have atleast 1 new world cichlid in it :P.

I've been looking at getting a pair of salvini's lately so I would probably go with them, but if you like blue acara's then go for it. If you plan on having 2 and breeding them though, choose tankmates with care.
 
Mum actually really likes the idea of a breeding pair of new worlds, which is strange because she's always at me about the fact I only have three fish in my marine tank, though that could just be because I can put a lot more fish in there, I just keep spending my money on coral LOL.

She wants either a breeding pair of angels, or a pair of blue acaras. Though how I'd get a breeding pair of acara's in one go I don't know. Resellling fish isn't possible round here.

Would breeding cichlids pick at bristlenoses? what fish would they leave alone?
 
Mum actually really likes the idea of a breeding pair of new worlds, which is strange because she's always at me about the fact I only have three fish in my marine tank, though that could just be because I can put a lot more fish in there, I just keep spending my money on coral LOL.

She wants either a breeding pair of angels, or a pair of blue acaras. Though how I'd get a breeding pair of acara's in one go I don't know. Resellling fish isn't possible round here.

Would breeding cichlids pick at bristlenoses? what fish would they leave alone?

They would most likely pick at any other fish in the tank, you could have dithers but these may not survive. Plecs should be able to withstand the aggression, if they have a place only they can get to, but then you have the problem of them eating the eggs at night. Though if you have trouble offloading fish then this may be for the best, nothing worse than having fry you can't get off your hands. I would just stick to the pair of blue acara's really if you really do want to breed the fish, tankmates would probably be harassed especially when they have fry.

Sounds tricky if you can't return fish once a pair has formed, might be worth looking into local aquatic clubs or other LFS.
 
My 'local' club is three hours drive away, LFS don't take fish due to quarantine problems...

That's why I'd want bristlenose, to eat eggs. I can buy a breeding pair of angels easy enough, my LFs gets in large angels and they often paur off, so the LFS puts them in seperate tanks and drops the price, because they find it harder to sell the breeding pairs.

Acara's I don't know about though, but could always just get two and if it doesn't work stick one in Mum's angel tank, her old acara used to live with them, so it shouldn't be too hard to do.
 
My 'local' club is three hours drive away, LFS don't take fish due to quarantine problems...

That's why I'd want bristlenose, to eat eggs. I can buy a breeding pair of angels easy enough, my LFs gets in large angels and they often paur off, so the LFS puts them in seperate tanks and drops the price, because they find it harder to sell the breeding pairs.

Acara's I don't know about though, but could always just get two and if it doesn't work stick one in Mum's angel tank, her old acara used to live with them, so it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Wow, thats totally different to the shops near me, they normally up the price considerably for a breeding pair.
 
They've said before they find it incredibly hard to sell the angel breeding pairs, so drop the price. It's $35 for an adult angel, but a breeding pair is $50....
 

Most reactions

Back
Top