55 gallon tank starting to expand when filled

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Agular620

Reaction score
hi I'm very new to the aquatic world, for now lol, and I had received a used 55 gallon tank...I looked up how to clean it and after I filled it up to test for leaks, etc, I noticed that the top-middle of the long sides was expanding outwards...which is making me very uneasy to continue to leave the water in it. I did further research and never even knew about a top brace much less anything else as far as 6mm glass is definitely not enough support and yeah.. Anyways how do I go about fixing this? Is there any where's I may be able to find a brace for it or is this aquarium done for good?

Hi -
First I wouldn't try to fill the tank more than one half, if at all. You may wind up with a broken tank and the resulting clean up.
If you search the web, I'm sure you will be able to find some DIY fixes.
Off the top of my head I believe it would be simple enough to construct an acrylic bridge that might get you operational.
Stick around and I'm sure someone with more expertise will show up with suggestions.

Welcome to the hobby, first and foremost.

Secondly, I wouldn't trust that tank at all. If it bows out, it's probably going to break (probably sooner rather than later).

If it is an acrylic tank you could buy some pieces of acrylic and then using acrylic glue add them to the to to brace the front and back. Also how much is it bowing front to back distance with the tank empty verses the tank full.

Sounds like your issue is that the top brace across the middle of the tank is missing. Depending on your level of handiness, this can be replaced. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself, but there are methods out there to do it.

Personally- I wouldn't trust it and use it for hamsters or GALS.

I wouldn't put any water in that tank, even with reinforcement I don't think it would help it...

Hey guys that is way there is a top brace! With brace the tank will work perfectly fine and there is noting to worry about. But without brace I would not use. The brace allows for using thinner glass reducing weight of the tank significantly. A second way to stabilize the long sides would be to put in some glass fins.

Imho it should be possible to find a brace somewhere or put in some fins. Some of the larger companies sell plastic braces seperatly, as they break from time to time.

Hey guys that is way there is a top brace! With brace the tank will work perfectly fine and there is noting to worry about. But without brace I would not use. The brace allows for using thinner glass reducing weight of the tank significantly. A second way to stabilize the long sides would be to put in some glass fins.

Imho it should be possible to find a brace somewhere or put in some fins. Some of the larger companies sell plastic braces seperatly, as they break from time to time.
Exactly. That's the physics of it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back