55 Gallon Plant Progress Report!

how are you gonna get 140 watts to fit on half a 55g tank?

and did you say you use play sand? hows that working out?

oh, and suggestion for lighting: you could rig up a simple 48" shoplight to fit on top with very little effort. thats what im gonna do, and the light i got (thanks to Pescado Guy) looks awesome. i estimate the whole thing will cost around 20 dollars if you can find cheap light and wood.

You'll prbably need to more than triple the number of wats you got . . .

Also, take out that thing that's making all the bubbles-- you need less surface movement so that more CO2 can be absorbed into the water. I would move the fish too . . . you'll want to lower your water to almost bare bottom for part of the planting process, and the fish won't like that and may get stressed or in your way . . .

Also, fine sand is generally considered a bad substrate to use as a planting medium. Over time, it compacts and becomes dense clumps because it is so fine-- this can result in suffocating or crushing the roots of your plants. Generally a gravel type is a much better choice for planting, but sand is often used in planted tanks for a bottom layer used for insulation for substrate heating. The planting media is then put on top of it.

Florite gravel is a good choice, and right now eco complete is probably the most popular choice in substrate. Both of the aforementioned substrates allow for water movement and root growth, and also add needed nutrients to the tank.

Starting a planted tank is no simple matter, you cannot just rig up some CO2 and toss in live plants into any tank. I'm sorry if I'm being harsh or if it sounds like I'm telling you to start all over, but I'm just trying to save you from being completely turned off and frustrated because your plants keep dying-- like a lot of members on this board who don't do their research before "converting to plants."

Take your time-- move the fish, and make a plan. Start collecting the hardware you'll need, and start learning about lighting, CO2, heating for planted tanks, and ferts. Also do your research on what type of fish can live in a planted tank! It's more limited you see.

For the purpose of aesthetics, think through your aquascape too. Don't just buy random plants. You're end result will come out much better if you think about which plants work well together and how they ought to be placed in the tank.

The same goes for rocks and wood. Don't just toss 'em in. Think about the lay-out, think about making it look natural. Remember too that often a dynamic scape where the substrate isn't just flat will be more effective. Rocks and wood can help you create hills and valleys. Think about where the plants grow in the lay out set by rocks, wood and gravel. Choose plants according to where they are going to be.

I hope that helps. -_- Good luck. :thumbs:

Woops!! Sorry!! Didn't see that this thread had a second page. Well, it looks like you're getting help and are getting on the right track. Good luck figuring out the lighting-- I always thought this was the most annoying part.

a layer of florite or gravel under the sand helps teh roots to not get suffocated by the sand.
i left about 1/2inch of gravel at the bottom of my tank to help the roots out.

Thanks for the info!

Im gonna get my lights tommorow!

YAY! :wub:

Were do u think I should buy the light fixture and bulbs?

Menards,Home-Depot!

Heres my co2!

Attachments

• 102_3729.JPG
    102_3729.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 54
Well update

The new light set-up burned!

So I have to buy a new one.... :/

Well heres an updated pic

Attachments

• 100_4202.JPG