50 gallon stocking ideas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I have a fully cycled 50 gallon tank. It is set up for over a year and fully planted. I currently have two angelfish and a blue gourami.
I wanted to add more fish and here are my suggestions

A pair or a trio of appisots
2/3 bristlenose pleco
A school of bigger teras
Danio
Hatchetfish

I heard that appistos and plecos can't be kept together? I didn't find this to be true, as I kept them together in the past. I have 3 caves and would add more if need be

Apistos and plecos are fine together

What is your tap water hardness?

The kh of the water is about 15°d and the gh is 3°d. The ph is about 7.6, but if need be I would add almond and catalpa leaves to lower it.

The kh of the water is about 15°d and the gh is 3°d. The ph is about 7.6, but if need be I would add almond and catalpa leaves to lower it.

Leaves and similar organics will not likely lower the pH here. pH is part of the GH and KH, and the KH especially "buffers" the pH to prevent fluctuations/changes. With a KH as high as 15 dKH, the buffering capability is considerable and the pH is not likely to lower at all (assuming the KH is accurate). You would first need to reduce the KH by using "pure" water to some degree. But for the fish mentioned, this is not needed. The GH is soft, and the pH is acceptable.

I have a fully cycled 50 gallon tank. It is set up for over a year and fully planted. I currently have two angelfish and a blue gourami.
I wanted to add more fish and here are my suggestions

A pair or a trio of appisots
2/3 bristlenose pleco
A school of bigger teras
Danio
Hatchetfish

I heard that appistos and plecos can't be kept together? I didn't find this to be true, as I kept them together in the past. I have 3 caves and would add more if need be

The blue gourami is a real issue here, this is about the most aggressive gourami species (Trichopodus trichopterus) among the small/medium sized gourami. Males are territorial, but we have had members with females that killed other species. There is no guarantee, but the odds are against this working out long-term.

The gender of the two angelfish is part of this too. A 50g tank is very small space for angelfish, and their gender is not mentioned.

Danio, if by this you mean common species like the Zebra Danio, are too active for sedate fish (all cichlids and gourami are sedate). Tetras depends upon the species. Hatchetfish, the same, though they might not fare well with the gourami regardless. It somewhat depends upon the gourami, but it is always wisest to assume a fish will be "normal" and provide accordingly.

The blue gourami is a real issue here, this is about the most aggressive gourami species (Trichopodus trichopterus) among the small/medium sized gourami. Males are territorial, but we have had members with females that killed other species. There is no guarantee, but the odds are against this working out long-term.

The gender of the two angelfish is part of this too. A 50g tank is very small space for angelfish, and their gender is not mentioned.

Danio, if by this you mean common species like the Zebra Danio, are too active for sedate fish (all cichlids and gourami are sedate). Tetras depends upon the species. Hatchetfish, the same, though they might not fare well with the gourami regardless. It somewhat depends upon the gourami, but it is always wisest to assume a fish will be "normal" and provide accordingly.
The blue gourami was never a problem, considering that they have bread in the community tank. I know that the gouramis can be aggressive, but I never found them to be the problem.

The angle fish are perfectly fine in the tank, but I saw some aggression from the male. Speaking of genders I'm quite sure I have a male and a female, altho I can't say I'm a 100% sure.

I have kept danios together with anglefish in the past and never had any problems. I would keep a school of larger tertas to act as dither fish for appisots and stop any aggression.

Leaves and similar organics will not likely lower the pH here. pH is part of the GH and KH, and the KH especially "buffers" the pH to prevent fluctuations/changes. With a KH as high as 15 dKH, the buffering capability is considerable and the pH is not likely to lower at all (assuming the KH is accurate). You would first need to reduce the KH by using "pure" water to some degree. But for the fish mentioned, this is not needed. The GH is soft, and the pH is acceptable.
What do you mean by "pure" water. Are you referring to RO water?

I would keep a school of larger tertas to act as dither fish for appisots and stop any aggression.

This is I'm afraid not how it works. The "aggressive" tendency of a fish is due to the genetic makeup of that species, and is not something we can change. It is true that we can affect it, usually in the wrong direction when the tank is too small, the other fish are not compatible, or there are not enough of a shoaling species; in these cases, aggression is heightened, again assuming the fish are healthy and normal. There are always exceptions, but do not count on that.

What I wrote previously is proven, and as I said, there can be exceptions. However, it is more likely your peaceful situation is due to the fish being in too confined an area. Fish often fail to function properly in such a situation. It can go either way, but quite often down the road the true nature comes out.

If the angelfish are in fact a male/female pair that has bonded (= accepted each other, this is not always the case when two fish are placed in a tank and they are male/female) they will inevitably spawn at some point, and I can assure you, things with the gourami and other fish will then be very different.

What do you mean by "pure" water. Are you referring to RO water?

Pure water involves the parameters of the water, and includes rainwater (if otherwise safe), distilled, and RO. You can mix one of these in with the source water and the GH and KH will be reduced proportionally. Some use just the pure RO, depending upon the species and their needs.

This is I'm afraid not how it works. The "aggressive" tendency of a fish is due to the genetic makeup of that species, and is not something we can change. It is true that we can affect it, usually in the wrong direction when the tank is too small, the other fish are not compatible, or there are not enough of a shoaling species; in these cases, aggression is heightened, again assuming the fish are healthy and normal. There are always exceptions, but do not count on that.

What I wrote previously is proven, and as I said, there can be exceptions. However, it is more likely your peaceful situation is due to the fish being in too confined an area. Fish often fail to function properly in such a situation. It can go either way, but quite often down the road the true nature comes out.

If the angelfish are in fact a male/female pair that has bonded (= accepted each other, this is not always the case when two fish are placed in a tank and they are male/female) they will inevitably spawn at some point, and I can assure you, things with the gourami and other fish will then be very different.
I understand and agree with what you are saying. We can't change the temperament of the fish or their nature and some of them are more aggressive than others. What I meant by dither fish is that appisots and angels have something to chase around which is faster than them, so they are occupied and do not harm others of their own species (males harm the females).

There definitely can be exceptions to every fish and their behaviour.

As for the angles; As much as I would like to pair them off and move to a breeding tank, that is unlikely to happen. The are over a year old and should have already paired off, but they aren't showing any sing of breeding I have wondered about this and I guess that they could both be females. Determining the gender of anglefish is very difficult if they haven't spawn. I could post pictures, perhaps someone with more experience can clarify this .

Pure water involves the parameters of the water, and includes rainwater (if otherwise safe), distilled, and RO. You can mix one of these in with the source water and the GH and KH will be reduced proportionally. Some use just the pure RO, depending upon the species and their needs.
Thank you I didn't know you could use distilled water. I'm guessing there is a formula to how much to add per gallon or something.

What I meant by dither fish is that appisots and angels have something to chase around which is faster than them, so they are occupied and do not harm others of their own species (males harm the females).

No, this is not the case. Dither fish are there to provide security for the shy dwarf cichlids. Seeing fish above them has this benefit. It certainly will never avoid natural aggressive behaviours to others of the species. Males are territorial, and they will establish their space. Depending upon species, some are best with a harem (one male with three or four females), some as a pair. The male will do his thing regardless of the dither fish--unless the dither fish are such that the dwarf cichlids are actually frightened, that is something else. But the interaction between male/female of any dwarf cichlid species in again programmed into their DNA.

Re the angelfish, I agree with you. This is not likely a male/female, nor a male/male pair. I'm no good at discerning their gender unless the breeding tubes are showing, or by their interactive behaviours.

Thank you I didn't know you could use distilled water. I'm guessing there is a formula to how much to add per gallon or something.

It is proportional. So if you have for example half tap water (at 3 dGH and 15 dKH) and half RO, this is a 50/50 mix which will halve the GH and KH. One issue is that this mixing has to be done outside the aquarium with the replacement water so when added it is at the same proportions as that in the tank.

No, this is not the case. Dither fish are there to provide security for the shy dwarf cichlids. Seeing fish above them has this benefit. It certainly will never avoid natural aggressive behaviours to others of the species. Males are territorial, and they will establish their space. Depending upon species, some are best with a harem (one male with three or four females), some as a pair. The male will do his thing regardless of the dither fish--unless the dither fish are such that the dwarf cichlids are actually frightened, that is something else. But the interaction between male/female of any dwarf cichlid species in again programmed into their DNA.

Re the angelfish, I agree with you. This is not likely a male/female, nor a male/male pair. I'm no good at discerning their gender unless the breeding tubes are showing, or by their interactive behaviours.
I fully agree. The dithers are there to provide security. I don't have any experience with keeping dither fish but I have heard others use them as a distraction as well as a security measure.

I was about to make another post for the angelfish, because I'm not sure about if they are a pair or not

It is proportional. So if you have for example half tap water (at 3 dGH and 15 dKH) and half RO, this is a 50/50 mix which will halve the GH and KH. One issue is that this mixing has to be done outside the aquarium with the replacement water so when added it is at the same proportions as that in the tank.
Hmm I see. So I could not add distilled and then tap water straight away? That complicates things by a lot but I don't have a need to do it. Thanks for sharing the information tho!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back