5 Gallon Vote!

What shall I stock?

  • Betta

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Move DP from 10 gallon and then restock my 10

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (post what you think)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
So I have just cleaned out my 5 gallon tank and cheked the filter to make sure it worked. Now I only have 2 concerns before I start up this tank and that Media and Filtration.

I am Currently using a marineland Eclipse 5 Tank:

101_0157.jpg


The built in filter has spaefici media pads but those are just a small peice of cloth with a plastic box on the bottom that contains carbon. I figured that its pointless to use that since it wont carry much bacteria and the bio wheel probably wont do much either. I have 3 options:

1: use previous filter pads (the same ones the filter is suppose to use) that I placed in my 10 gallon since it was brought over from when I cloned my 5 gallon.
2: Do Custom media foam and start a new fishless cycle
3: Take Media from my other tanks and use that.

Now my issue is that the current from the filter is pretty weak and may not cover the whole sponge leaving some bacteria starved (So I think). I took pics of flow for you to decide:

101_0156.jpg



now once that is figured out I need to know what substance to use. I have natural color gravel available, I just need to simple wash it. Its pea sized and smooth. I am strapped for cash so I may not be able to afford the sand I would normally use (Tahiti Moon Sand) since its 25 bucks per 20 pond bag (and only avilable in 25 pound). I can maybe get some sand but it all depends on what I decide to stock.


Lastly I need to decide what my stock shall be. My plan is either:

5 Gallon:

1 betta (maybe some pygmy cory)

10 Gallon:

1-3 DP (only 2-3 if I cant find a store that carries them)
5 Oto

30 Gallon:

Stock stays same


OR

5 Gallon:

1 DP
3 Oto (this tank has always has bad luck with Algea and oto have taken acre of it in the past)

10 Gallon:
2 Honey
6 Cory
1 Male Molly

30 Gallon:

3 Female Molly
1 BN
7 Oto
7 Tetra or Rasbora (dont know type)
2 Ram or other small Cichild

I also would take other opinions on the stocking of all 3 or just the 5 gallon.
 
Would make a brill DP tank - plug gives you more room for the community with the Rams if you decide to use the 10g for that.

For the filter - fit it with an overflow pipe so that the water only leaves it when the unit has filled to the required water level. That way there will always be deep enough water to sustain bacteria on the new foram substrate. (should be able to simply stick a bit of pipe over the outlet. cut it to the required length and "Bobs your mothers-brother")

edited: we have a phrase for simple things being completed in the Uk. Its "Bobs your uncle" - means Done - sorted... Realsed you may not know whet I was getting at with "bobs your mothers brother" - Oh this forum is so international.
 
I am seriously thinking about getting my hands on a smallish tank and setting it up for a couple of Dwarf Puffers. I do lover their little boggly eyes. :good:
 
Well I figured out a way to use a tetra Whisper filter perhaps. I just need some fishing line to work. I originally had 2 filter pads running at the same time in my 5 gallon. I since moved both to the 10 gallon and have added extra media. Both pads fit perfectly into the tetra whisper internal filter. Would this be to much media to take? I had a small stingray filter (Zeolite cartridges removed of course) which I replaced with foam and then ran that for 1-2 months and moved that as well. I just dont know how much to take since its either a whole pad or foam that may not hold as much bacteria.
 
Why so many votes for sand with betta being the most popular choice (so far)? Is sand necessary for a betta? Especially when he said the sand he was after was costly. Wouldn't betta+gravel be the obvious choice?

I recommend keyholes for your 30g if you wanted something other than rams.
 
i voted for the 5 gal dp and restock the 10. i have the same kind of design with the built in filter. i added a fluval1 internal to it
 

Most reactions

Back
Top