4 line pictus

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

digital_run

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey....At a local Ifs and they have a tank full of fish named 4 line pictus. They look the same as my pims (i have Columbian & Peruvian strains) but look larger and are more of a dull grey than silver. And true to the title they have four dark grey lines which go down them vertically. This Ifs isn't exactly the best so i dont trust the name...

I don't have a pic but was wondering if anyone had experience/Information on them and if i could intergrate one or two into my current group of 5 pictus.

Thnx

Ðigital_

Edit: I searched planet catfish and came up empty handed...Not saying its not on the site i just know that the name is wrong.

They are a different breed

The latin name is Pimelodus blochii.

Max size is around 10 inches.

As far as care goes, I believe they are not too dissimilar to P. albofasciatus (White Lined Pim) for which has a profile here by our very own CFC.

HIH

Andy

Edit ---

You should be able to fit them into your current setup so long as the tank is large enough to hold them (I believe 5x2 footprint is advised) and as long as (with all predatory catfish like the Pimelodidae family) the tank mates are at least half the length of the fish (around 5" in this case)

Great thanks for the info Andy....I'm assuming that they need to have the company of their own kind...But will my pims fill that gap? Tank space isn't a big deal...I just want to make sure before i go ahead with it.

DR

there's always the chance they will shoal with the other pims but I would get 3 of them either way just to make sure they have buddies of there own kind.

Eeeek no, Pimelodus blochii (and Pimelodus albofasciatus) are solitary living catfish that are territorial towards their own species. You can keep them with other species without problems but unless the tank is large enough for each P.blochii to stake a territory (usually around a cave or piece of bogwood) then they will fight continuously.

There shouldnt be. I keep a P.albofasciatus with 2 P.ornatus and other a few other Pimeloids and apart from the odd scuffle when another fish goes under the same piece of bogwood there is no trouble.

Most reactions

Back