3D Backdrop Idea

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wonkey

Reaction score
Ok so i really want a 3d-backdrop within my 240L tank however I cant break down the tank and properly silicon seal it all in.

my LFS has some on offer for 8 quid ( dont think they have been selling well as it was at 20 quid)

I had an idea.....

however about I silicone/glue magnets to each corner of the backdrop and then place the other side of the magnet at the back of the tank a bit like the magnetic cleaners you get, this would allow me to secure them in place and take them out if I ever needed too.

Soo is this a viable idea ? :blink:

Could work, just make sure there are no little gaps for fish to get stuck!

Could work but what you have to think about is when you silicone the background to the back of your tank your sealing it making it water tight which is then impossible for waste to build up behind it, stop fish getting stuck etc.. Like you say though removing it whenever you like i suppose will be ok at least you can clean behind it when ever you like. Could be a bit of a pain though constantly moving it about but if your happy to do that then i dont see why this wont work mate. :good:

Also keep in mind if you have a Hang on back filter a lot of thier impellers are magnet driven so other nearby magnets may mess with it.

hmm I may have to do some kind of project for this then as it seems viable.

I run 2 external filters so mags arnt an issue, I was thinking about the gap between the glass and the the magnet, what I intend to do is silcone a line all the way round the backdrop to create a seal that would meet the glass as it is pressing against it. ( actually thats quite difficult to explain lol so i drew it)

the silicone would be allow to set before it goes in the water so this would create a sort of rubber seal.

I dont have any really small fish so hopfully this wont be an issue either.

Sounds rather ingenious! I have a 3D background too, just stuffed the sides and and cracks with filter sponge so no fish can get round the back. Learned that the hard way :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back