30g Stocking

Jallen

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
601
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Hampshire, England
So I got a new 30G :D


I was planning on having maybe 12 neon tetras, 2 angels, 6 fancy guppies, some shrimp (please suggest), kuhli loaches, and a bristlenose pleco.

It's 3ft, so that may not actually completely stock it, I dunno, I'll see how it looks, always best to play it by eye in my opinion.

Anyway, are there any compatibility issues there? My dad used to keep angels with neons in a 60g ages ago, along with kuhlis and shrimp without any problems, so that should be ok. Any info I should know about this combo though? Other suggestions also very welcome :)

Thanks.
 
To be honest, I kept angels with my current stock and I have had awful losses since adding the angels. As I only added 2 the dominant killed the weaker one and then started killing the rest of the fish.

I had to take him back to my LFS as he was killing them all. But I mean it completly depends on the fish. Like with humans you can get a one with a passive personallity or you can get one that is a right W****r.

Good luck.
 
To be honest, I kept angels with my current stock and I have had awful losses since adding the angels. As I only added 2 the dominant killed the weaker one and then started killing the rest of the fish.

I had to take him back to my LFS as he was killing them all. But I mean it completly depends on the fish. Like with humans you can get a one with a passive personallity or you can get one that is a right W****r.

Good luck.
Damn... I think that when introduced with the fish when young and all at a similar time, they can be alright, that's what my dad did on his old tank and his 2 angels had no problems, so I'll do that.

Any other suggestions guys? I love the look of Rams but I've heard they can be aggressive and I want this tank to be really passive. I have tiger barbs and as interesting as their aggression is, I would much prefer to have this tank as something which you can watch and find relaxing, hence why I'm going for the majestic angels, the colourful guppies, and the bright neons.

Oh yeah, and I'll probably have hatchet fish too.

So yeah, suggestions? Or advice on any other conflicts?
 
Stocking sounds fine apart from the angels- they have been known to eat neon tetras and attack guppys etc. If you want some centerpiece fish then why not go for gourami's or swordtails :) ?
 
Ah ok, thanks.

Will a Bolivian Ram be alright in there? I'm using big sand (granules are about 1.5mm in diameter). Will he stir it all up loads? Because I don't want that...
As I said, I don't want any aggression in there.

I also don't want the substrate or ornaments distrubed much...
Thanks.
 
If you have the opinion that angels aren't aggressive then Rams aren't aggressive.
and I would personally drop the Angels in favour of a pair of Bolivian Rams,

whilst the Angels may be fine there is always going to be a pretty big risk of trouble occuring and IMO sooner or later things will go wrong,
Angels have eaten Neons in the wild for hundreds of years, why would they stop now?

Rams may dig slightly in the sand but not really stir it up, so to speak
 

Most reactions

Back
Top