300w Mh Lights Overkill?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Having different K bulbs will definitely be visually noticeable to you. I'd go with two identical ones.

Hi Ski,

Which ones? 10k? 14k? 20k?

Thankfully, my table saw turned up today and the missing drill bit. Still no sign of the light or my RO unit or a gazillion other things I've ordered :grr:

I'm gonna kick the postman in his hairy beanbag if he doesn't hurry up with my stufffffffffffff :shout:

Lol, sorry bout your troubles.

IMO, 20k's are too blue and 14k's are just about right for my eyes. My tank uses 14k's and I'm happy with it.

Hi Ski,

I was debating whether to have 20k's or 14k's. I've even seen 30k lamps too which must be uber blue. I'll get a pair of 14K bulbs then. Still no sign of my light or RO unit today :(. Just got a 2nd hand Boyu SP 2500 powerhead for £10. Now I gotta go find an impeller for it as this one sounds like a damn jack hammer in my tank :angry:

Did the impeller come from a saltwater or chiclid tank? If so it may have calcium carbonate deposits on the motor and impeller. Try a little vinegar bath if so :good:

Hi Ski,

I dismantled the powerhead and the impeller looks as clean as a whistle. I can't seem to find an impeller for it anywhere. I'm wondering if the impeller in my eheim 2215 would work silently? I dropped my old one in there and it seemed to fit fine, so I might try the new one. Why is nothing ever straight forward? :grr:

Lol, life would be too easy then :lol:

Exaine the impeller closely, are there any loose parts, broken plastic cowlings, improper fitting caps, etc? You might have to take the rubber caps off the shaft and remove the magnet and blade to make sure that the cowlings aren't broken. Often times if the cowling breaks they'll vibrate like crazy.

If you want to use another impeller, the magnets must be identical

Hooray! The light arrived today. Its got a few light marks on it and its a slightly different colour to my other one, so I'm going to spray them both. Don't panic - I've purchased exhaust pipe/engine spray paint which is heat resistant up to about 800F lol.

Just to p!$$ me off, the bracket for it is longer than the first light, so now I am trying to contact the manufacturer to get another bracket the same as the original light, otherwise one is going to sit further off the wall than the other :grr:

Along with the light, another box arrived containing...... spare RO filters...... BUT NO DAMN RO MACHINE!!!!!! :grr:

I'm hoping the other box containing the actual RO unit will arrive tomorrow. God knows why it never arrived today along with the spare filters :/

You see Ski? Nothing EVER goes right for me. I'm the type of person that trips over a stone, finds a £20 note, then gets mugged for it. :(

Man. I just gave these babies a test run and they are so awesome, I almost pee'd my pants!!! :hyper:

Even though the old lamp is pretty much knackered, the new one was soooooooooo bright :drool:. Now my tank looks really dark and dingey again since turning them off. I've ordered 2 x 14'000k bulbs, which should be here next week. Looks like I'll be selling the Aquaone compact lighting unit. I might keep hold of the juwel unit, just to run some T5 actinic blues as I can position it at the very front and it wont interfere with the MH's.

All I need now is an new bracket and I'll wall mount the lights. Then its sump/overflow time. Can't wait :hey:

tank1lm3.jpg

tank2tk9.jpg

The RO unit arrived :D And the instructions for it might as well be in backwards phonetical Chinese. :unsure:

Today I decided to phone the manufacturer of the MH light to order a replacement bracket, since they never replied to my e-mail. I got through to the sales desk only to be told "We don't sell to members of the public. You'll have to go through a wholesale". I was then told that the price for this metal bracket was £17.50. £17.50 for a bit of metal. If that wasn't bad enough it was £50 delivery charge :blink: WTF £50 on orders under £300.

So now I have to find a wholesaler who needs to put an order in with the manufacturer to avoid paying a completely extortionate carriage charge. FFS It'd cost like £5 max if they put it in the regular post. :grr:

I swear that my sole existence on this earth is as a source of continual comedy so the gods can play their daily prank on me. :shout:

Lol, at least you can laugh at these misfortunes :shifty:

Idea... Use shelving brackets to mount them, or cable hang them from the cieling

Lol, at least you can laugh at these misfortunes :shifty:

Idea... Use shelving brackets to mount them, or cable hang them from the cieling

I'm going to try some other manufacturers. They all have identical light housings, just different brackets for them. I contacted one and they want to talk to me on the phone, so no doubt it will be "Oh you're not a company? Then we can't suppy you". I'll then tell him that my brother-in-law is the area materials purchasing manager for one of the biggest UK contractors and see if he changes his tune. ;)

As for hanging a 6kg light from the ceiling directly above a a tank of water - NO! The reason for this is I'd have to pick up a joist to screw into. Knowing my luck I'd either hear smash as the light fell and broke the glass..... or plop and my fish get frazzled. :crazy:

lol, true forgot whose luck I was suggesting the cieling option too ;). Using shelf brackets or the kinds of things they use in closets to hang clothes from are "tried and true" methods as well.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back