30 Gallons Is Enough, Right?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bichirs man

Reaction score
CFC said that senegal bichirs should have 30+ gallons to live in. We have a senegal bichir in a 30 gal tank. will She (I think) be fine? or will she ( I think it's a she) outgrow it?

Its not really the amount of gallons, its the footprint of the tank. When he said 30 gallons, he ment a tank atleast 3ft long. So a 29 gallon would be different, since it is alot higher and is only 30 inches long. The longer the better for bichirs. So a 30 gal is enough, but it would have to be around 3ft long and like 12 1/2 inches wide(wider than this would be better).
Good luck! Bichirs are awsome. I have a senegal in my 55 gallon. :good:

Its not really the amount of gallons, its the footprint of the tank. When he said 30 gallons, he ment a tank atleast 3ft long. So a 29 gallon would be different, since it is alot higher and is only 30 inches long. The longer the better for bichirs. So a 30 gal is enough, but it would have to be around 3ft long and like 12 1/2 inches wide(wider than this would be better).

nice! the tank is exactly 3 ft long, and 12 inches wide.

nice! the tank is exactly 3 ft long, and 12 inches wide.

aye the same as my Poly tank,

I have a 20gal, with a foot print exactly the same as stated above, it just isnt as high, could I house a birchir in that? as I know having my two in the 30 is a no! no! but I'm upgrading it in a few months, but shh! dont tell the GF, :hyper:

for a little while. But upgrade to something like a 55. bichirs like those!

Is it me or do bichirs have about 10 dorsal fins. :crazy:

Bret

there like dinosaurs lol.

heres mine.

pic2.jpg

Is it me or do bichirs have about 10 dorsal fins. :crazy:

Bret

They aren't actually all doral fins, but dorsal spines, all fish have a lot of dorsal spines, but they are normal fused together to make a dorsal find

there like dinosaurs lol.

heres mine.

Their other common name is Dinosaurs Eel.

A good example of what I use to describe them to friends is this:

"They are from the part of evoluntion when fish became amphibians, they breath with lungs unlike other fish and take atmospheric air."

That seem to always make them interested.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back