30 Gallon Saltwater Tank

i definetly am starting over now. the horseshoe crabs seem to like their new, cleaned out
"live" sand lol.

thanks again everyon e for the info.

You are more than welcome we are always glad to help out :good:

Will be following your progress with interest.

I knew absolutely nothing when I started, around a year ago, everything I learned has been from the good folks on this site, the link that TigerIssey has given you, is a really good place to start, I spent many, many days reading. I learn something new everyday, marine aquariums are not easy, they are expensive, you need to have a lot of patience, but they are worth the effort in the end :crazy: :good:

ok this is the algae that was/is on the live rock. this photo was taken a week ago before my saltwater tank got really cloudy and dirty (as i found out when i was taking it apart that the "live" sand had organic matter all in it, like dead seaweed and poop) so i had to take it apart yesterday... i have some more pictures of the algae on the live rock but i have somebody that uploads my pictures all the time and i dont really want to get him annoyed unless i could email them to someone on here.

anyway, is this algae dangerous? http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/Mik...el/Bensrock.jpg

i think it is diatoms. that's the clostest i can get to what the growth on the live rock is, but it's going away since i put the live rock away from light.

where could i purchase real live sand?
would beach sand (from the surf) be bad to use as substrate?

You can buy live sand from someone breaking down their tank, have a look at local adverts and ebay, Don't go for live sand in a bag, its just a gimmick :rolleyes:
I don't know about collecting it from the beach, you'll have to await an answer from someone else for that :blush:

yeah, i know the dry sand in a bag isn't live. that's why i asked :D

so i got the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH test kit. i also got a hydrometer and a bag of Instant Ocean sea salt.
the only problem now is the skimmer. i'll have to wait a few days to get it though.
yesterday the people at petsmart said they had a skimmer for $109.99. today i went there to get the test kits and such. i asked 3 employees if they had the skimmer, because i searched the whole store and couldn't find one. none of them knew what i was talking about. idiots. but i'm ordering one online for half the price petsmart was supposed to be selling one for. and it is 530 gph.

i just made the saltwater, installed the two filters and the powerhead, and i put in the live rock and corals.

the hydrometer reads 34 ppt, BUT i read the directions and it said to soak the hydrometer in salty water for 24 hours so the needle will get seasoned. so that's why it's off. anyway, instead of putting 14.5 cups of salt in, i put 12 cups of salt just so if i have too little salt i won't have to empty any water.. but the salinity should be okay.

as long as you add live rock the dry sand will become live over time.... fairly quickly, weeks :good:

before i forget,

Day 1 test:

nitrates: 0 ppm

nitrites: 0 ppm

ammonia: less than .25 ppm but more than 0 ppm

ph: 7.8

Most reactions

Back