30 Gallon Nano Reef Diary

added lighting timers
3x yellow clown gobys
chunk of colored sand polyps...red/violet colored

just ordered a small purple tip anemone, coral banded shrimp, annnnnd a porcelain crab.

I'm a complete newbie, so forgive my ignorance, but I thought I read somewhere that Coral Banded Shrimp should not be put in a Nano tank. Does anyone know if that is true and why that is? I thought it was because they were too aggressive, but admittedly I don't know.

ehn I had a coral banded in a 12 gallon once...he killed a monkey shrimp...thats about it. And yeeah I've researched the nem...even killed one before out of ignorance :/

New addition: Fluval 205

Tank doing good! I was nervous about the nem at first...you know theres always a chance when you add something new that it's going to be picky or not do well...especially with an anemone. Coolest thing ever! My coral banded is shy...he doesnt like the heavy flow on the front of the rocks I think so he only comes out when I add mysid...kind of hangs out on the edge but is still visible...may still just be adjusting. The porcelain crab is rad...i didnt know anything about them before I got him really...he has two be fan filter things that look like sails. He sits on the top of rocks and holds his filters up and then sucks all the findings off of them. He's so pretty too. Also...I always thought anemones just kind of ate food that landed on them...wrong...first of all this thing is way bigger than I expected...he's opened up and probably trippled in size...not too big or anything...just not what I expected for $5 on ebay. When I added mysid, he grabs them out of the water...its so cool, I didnt realize they did that. I was planning on using a turkey baster to squirt the food at him but it looks like theres no need...Im not too stoked with where he's decided to anchor himself but he's still pretty visible. Of course he got right next to the filter intake so I had to move that as one of his tentacles was sucked in. Im going to get some sort of cloth/mesh to cover it with but until now it's angled so that its in the middle/top of the tank so nothing can get to it unless it's free floating or a fish...it just looks tacky. Having a lot of little white circles showing up on the back wall of my tank...Im assuming/hoping this is coraline? Like white circles with little white dots in the middle...think so guys? Corals are doing good too...my polyps are starting to look pretty neat...theyre growing it seems and it almost looks like half of them may be a different species/color than the other half...it's weird...one half is a solid color and the other half of the rock has polyps with a green/yellow kind of center. My mushrooms are growing a lot too it seems. The galaxia coral isnt doing as good as I had hoped...that rock is being taken over by fluffy violet colored algae and I dont know if the galaxia can kill it/ take it over? Should I clean it somehow? Nothing will eat the algae...anyways, everything is doing super!

Ok ok new pics...but before that...just going to say...is it a good idea to try and annoy things so they'll move? I was thinking of putting a power head that blows accross the back of my LR so my coral banded shrimp and my nem will move to the front...anyways:

Dirty tank w/ flash:
IMG_0217.jpg

Shroom Bloom:
IMG_0216.jpg

Nem:
IMG_0215.jpg

Zooz and Gobie:
IMG_0214.jpg

Blurry tank w/o flash:
IMG_0209.jpg

HOLY CRAP....so I moved this powerhead to point behind my rocks in hopes of annoying the anemone so that he would come to the front some...it worked...but then I put a rock over him so he got no light so that maybe he'd come up some more and be in this sort of tunnel...and not only did it work...but he's HUGE now! SOOOO pretty! I was so happy that I basted it with some mysid and it went nuts. Definitely my favorite thing in the tank right now heh. I'll have to get some new pics up.

alright someone help me with my algae problem...serious green hair algae growth happening...lights are on a 12/12 cycle, nothing new has happened to the tank or been added...I did notice there was a big dead cockroach in my refugium though??? nitrate spike??? Any ideas would be cool...maybe upgrade my clean up crew?

Most reactions

Back