3 - Spot Gouramis

JackoUK

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi

I've just purchased a pair of 3-spot Gouramis from my local aquarium. There both brilliantly looking fish but as soon as i'd put them in they went and hid in my plantage and have remained there ever since. They did come out and grab when it was feeding time this morning and grab some of it and every now and then they'll go and get a bit of air from the surface, but apart from that there hiding. What we've also noticed is that they do come out when were not in the room but as we come in they shoot off again. I was wondering if they were always like this or if it was because they were new?

PS: It's really fun as well because now all 8 Danios are shoaling closely together wondering what them big blue things are in the plants, until feeding time of course. :)

they're just nervous, loads of fish do this when first put into the tank. give them a few days and they'll settle :good:

they're just nervous, loads of fish do this when first put into the tank. give them a few days and they'll settle :good:

Thanks Miss Wiggle (Now there's something i'd never thought i'd say :) )

I also read that there not too fond of strong light or strong current. I have a decent 2 tube hood and my filtiration is quite strong. Will this upset them too much and make the stressed?

Shouldn't be too much of a problem. We've got a few floating plants in our tank which they like to sit under.

Thanks Miss Wiggle (Now there's something i'd never thought i'd say :) )

I also read that there not too fond of strong light or strong current. I have a decent 2 tube hood and my filtiration is quite strong. Will this upset them too much and make the stressed?

eh ?? ha ha

i've heard that about gourami's too but it has never been my experience and I've also heard plenty of people say like me they've not had any problems. all i can say is try it, be prepared with a back up plan for if they are getting stressed out but just give them a chance to settle before you do anything radical. :)

Three-spots aren't as picky on current as some other gouramies.

What they realy are picky about is each other - your ignature says you have 3 of them - why did you say you bought a pair? Also, what sexes are they? Males can and will fight to the death and females can easily be stressed by a male's constant chasing if she has to deal with him on her own 9hence why 2 or mroe females per male is best).

Three-spots aren't as picky on current as some other gouramies.

What they realy are picky about is each other - your ignature says you have 3 of them - why did you say you bought a pair? Also, what sexes are they? Males can and will fight to the death and females can easily be stressed by a male's constant chasing if she has to deal with him on her own 9hence why 2 or mroe females per male is best).

Oh yes. My sig is wrong. I do only have a pair, one male and one female. I'm thinking maybe I should get another female from what you and other people have said. Thanks for the advice.

As for the pair, they seem to have settled now and do come out to say hello until you move suddenly and then shoot off back into the plants. Their both feeding fine too. :)

My Gouramis now seem so at home that there even eating the Bristlenose catfishes sinking wafers. Unfortunatly my catfish are too small that they can't even chase them off yet. Still, there seems enough algae in the tank for the catfishes at the moment. :)

Most reactions

Back