29gal external overflow DIY - lots of pics!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Trimming the reflector to fit in the pendant:
P1260049.jpg

Perfect fit:
P1260050.jpg

All wired up:
P1260051.jpg

Test run:
P1260052.jpg

Its a thing of beauty:
P1260054.jpg

The bulb is a 250w 14k Hamilton. Looks like it will be the perfect color for me since i won't be using actinics. I'm concerned the flow isn't enough. Considering taking the scwd off the mag and using it on a closed loop with a genX pump i have.

Teeth done, it was freehand so no laughing!
P2010056.jpg

First coat of paint on the tank:
P2010055.jpg

Paint dry:
P2010057.jpg

This is the black acrylic i will glue to the inside of the tank to hide the overflow box plumbing:
P2010058.jpg

Being held in place:
P2010059.jpg

Here is the project tonight. Move the 55g to the right about 3 feet.
P2010060.jpg

Thanks guys. Nice DIY filter there, very creative.

Well i finished the plumbing, paint is dry, silicon dry as well. Took a couple more pics. Tonight i'm working on the pendant arm out of 3/4 EMT. Then just gotta filler up. I'm also buying the skimmer this weekend. Can't wait!!!

P2020001.jpg

P2030002.jpg

you couldve just gotten a glass cutter for about 5 dollars :lol:

Edit: bioballs are 3 step filter media? how often do you have to wash them, i might want to make one of those, that is pretty neat

Dorkhedeos said:
you couldve just gotten a glass cutter for about 5 dollars :lol:

Edit: bioballs are 3 step filter media? how often do you have to wash them, i might want to make one of those, that is pretty neat
It was a glass cutting bit and it only cost me $5. :)

All i can say is awesome and well done. Looks like you did a very good job.
I wish i was a more DIY guy when it comes to fish tank equipment

DAMN! :huh:

I never knew making a 29 gallon reef was that much work!

That takes my dreams of a 125 reef!

Good Job BTW! :thumbs:

Joker - It has only been a lot of work because i didn't want to go out and buy everything. Plus there are a few things i wanted done that you simply cannot buy. think you could do a 125gal and buy a reef-ready tank, then just plug in all your equipment and be good to go. Don't let this project discourage you!!

Ok a few more till the pendant arm is completed. The paint isn't coming out the way I would like on it. I may just leave it and set the thing up then change the mounting of the pendant later down the road. Anyway, i finished up the PVC support rack for the LR. The right side will be sloping upward with zoos and such on it. The paper towel folded in half you see represents a sandy area i would like to keep open, sort of like a ravine.

My cat helping. Or looking for something to steal and play with:
P2070022.jpg

P2070023.jpg

P2070024.jpg

Miles

Ok FW tank moved:
P2080025.jpg

Tank in place and begin filling:
P2090031.jpg

New needlewheel skimmer:
P2100034.jpg

Just barely enough room in the sump. My fuge isn't going to fit where i planned, so I may be setting it up outside the stand. Or i have to get a smaller fuge. Not sure at this point.
P2110039.jpg

Here is what i put together to hang the pendant from:
P2090032.jpg

It wasn't holding the pendant as i had planned. The elbow had to much of a bend and the horizontal piece sagged a bit. But i found these:
P2100036.jpg

P2100035.jpg

They work great!! Retractable:
P2100037.jpg

P2100038.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back