28L Tankmates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pablothebetta

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've currently a single male betta in my 28L tank. I'd like to add a little something else to the setup if possible, but I just don't know what. The main issue for this is that I've a feeling he's not the 'laid back' sort - I had 8-10 or so cherry shrimp when I first got him which are now down to about 1 or 2 and he started attacking some of the smaller pest snails very soon after being put in the tank. Small red shrimp and tiny snails might make easy targets though, that's what I'm thinking - is it just that or is he particularly agressive?

I don't feel I ought to risk endlers and the tanks too small for corys and the likes. I thought of a single nerite snail, but I have assassins in there at the moment so I'm not sure about that at the moment. Would otos be appropriate, or would they also make easy targets or is the tank not large enough? I might be able to 'grow' algae on some stones for them as well as veggies.

Thanks

Problem is that the majority of fish that are small enough for a 28l are shoaling, and therefore need a bigger aquarium for a decent sized shoal. The one that's often cited as being suitable for these circumstances is the Endler.

I have, on occasions, wondered whether Scarlet Badis would be suitable - small enough, can be kept as a pair, but the males can develop extended pectoral fins, not too dissimilar to a male Fighter, so that's always put me off from trying it. That, and they don't like boisterous tankmates. Has anyone ever tried this combination?

Problem is that the majority of fish that are small enough for a 28l are shoaling, and therefore need a bigger aquarium for a decent sized shoal. The one that's often cited as being suitable for these circumstances is the Endler.

I have, on occasions, wondered whether Scarlet Badis would be suitable - small enough, can be kept as a pair, but the males can develop extended pectoral fins, not too dissimilar to a male Fighter, so that's always put me off from trying it. That, and they don't like boisterous tankmates. Has anyone ever tried this combination?

Would this mean a trio of otos are out? I have heard of people keeping them in 5 gallon tanks so long as they are given other things to eat (eg zucchini, algae covered stones, etc), which is why I thought they might be ok. Would they be likely to attract my bettas attention as things to attack?

I don't think I'd want to try anything too small and pretty active with him (eg might swim around him) or at least not for starters, which sort of rules out endlers, microrasboras and that.

errrm. I'm not too good with ottos. I'd have thought that a couple would be OK in a tank that size. The problem really is your betta's temperament. He seems very aware of his surroundings with the shrimp massacre :crazy:

Might not be a good idea to add anything when he's so well established. I'm no expert though. It would just be a shame if you tried and they all ended up dead.

My Betta did not get along with snails (Mystery Snail, Nerite Snail) either, but he loves the Kuhlies.

What you could try is, take him out of the tank, switch things up in there, add the new additions and then the Betta. It's supposed to make him think he's in another territory and hopefully make him less aggressive. Getting a bigger tank would make things easier! :rolleyes:

Otos, really should be in schools of 6, but I have a group of four (had 6 initially), and the tank should be mature, no less than 6 months since being set up.

If you are trying out new tankmates for him be prepared to rescue them if need be.

Have you had a look at this?
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/382234-betta-fish-compatibility/page__p__3206880__fromsearch__1#entry3206880

Thanks for the replies :)

If I were able to arrange with one of my LFSs to be able to return the otos if they didn't work out with my betta, might I be able to try them out?

Llegmore, he certainly does seem to be aware of his surroundings. Only thing I'm thinking though is that small, fairly brightly coloured juvinile cherry shrimp may make easier and more obvious targets than darker coloured otos. Or at least that's what I'd like to be able to think :blush:

Useful link, Rummynose, thankyou. Only think is though, is that the only options aside from shrimp/snails on there are endlers & one of the small microrasbora, and I'm not sure if I'd want to try them right now - I can just imagine them swimming around him and grabbing his attention (and later becoming tea....). And, wouldn't a bigger tank just make things a lot easier! I wish I had the room :rolleyes: The tank has been set up since October and the media in the filter has been going for at least 2 1/2 years now, would this be mature enough for them?

Only thing I'm thinking though is that small, fairly brightly coloured juvinile cherry shrimp may make easier and more obvious targets than darker coloured otos. Or at least that's what I'd like to be able to think :blush:

:lol: Never stop hoping.

It is really up to your Betta what he deems target material, I'm afraid. He may nudge the otocinclus and leave it be if it swims away, or he may choose to annihilate :blink: !

Your tank is mature enough for the ottos, I think you could try it! Just be sure to supplement their diet, there won't be enough algae in the little tank to sustain them!!! :rolleyes:

Let us know how it turns out.

If I am to get some otos, I think what I'll do is next time I go to an LFS, I'll see if they have some. If they do or can order some in, I'll ask if I could take them but if I'd be able to bring them back if things don't work out. Thanks for all the advice :)

My Oto's don't school as such, I usually see them in loose groups of 2/3 at a time
You could get away with 3 if the tank is well established, but as said before they will need extra feeding
I don't think a Betta would be bothered by them, but you'd have to keep an eye on him for a while

Thanks. I definitely appriciate your view, onidrase - they are pretty fragile from what I've read. If I do get a few, I'll definitely watch them as Cazgar said, and I'm not sure I'd get them in the first place if I wasn't able to take them back if things didn't go to plan.

What sort of veggies do they like? I'm aware of zucchini, but not 100 % sure of others. Also, would heavy planting be beneficial to them? I do have plants in my tank, but I'm not sure it would be considered heavily planted.

Mine love courgette, or zucchini you call it.
They also like broccoli stalks.
As for plants, they don't necessarily need a heavily planted tank, but feel more secure if there are plenty of hiding places if they need them.
They do like to rest on broad leaved plants, such as java fern, sme crypts etc & clean them, they also like wood to clean & rest on.
They're one of my favourite fish

Forgot to say, I grow algae for them by putting some bits of wood or rocks in a bowl on a sunny wndow ledge.
In a couple of days you'll have nice green algae, mine go nuts the minute I put a piece in the tank

Mine love courgette, or zucchini you call it.
They also like broccoli stalks.
As for plants, they don't necessarily need a heavily planted tank, but feel more secure if there are plenty of hiding places if they need them.
They do like to rest on broad leaved plants, such as java fern, sme crypts etc & clean them, they also like wood to clean & rest on.
They're one of my favourite fish

Forgot to say, I grow algae for them by putting some bits of wood or rocks in a bowl on a sunny wndow ledge.
In a couple of days you'll have nice green algae, mine go nuts the minute I put a piece in the tank

Thanks for the tips :) I've got java fern + crypts as well as an echinodoras, moss balls and wood, so plenty to rest on I guess. Not too many hiding places though, it's all rather open in there. When it comes to growing algae, do the rocks/wood need to already have algae on them before placing on a window ledge and do you use tank water or just any water? So many q's, sorry :blush:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back