24inch Finnex HLC Planted + LED Fixture

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thanks!

@AbbeysDad how do you use this light to get the best results?
Yes, I have the 48" LED Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 on my 60g tank. I run it in 24/7 mode on a timer from 7am until midnight. It starts with a low sunrise, ramps up to max (highest at 3pm), then ramps down to sunset. Since it shuts down at midnight so the fish have a period of total darkness, I don't really get blue moonlight. I quite like the 24/7 as it offers a more surreal viewing experience mimicking nature and my plants (low tech) do well. If I had a high tech tank with more ferts and CO2, I'd need brighter light and this light on max may not be enough with a 24" tank depth. But it works great for my 60g planted display tank in the living room. :)

Yes, I have the 48" LED Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 on my 60g tank. I run it in 24/7 mode on a timer from 7am until midnight. It starts with a low sunrise, ramps up to max (highest at 3pm), then ramps down to sunset. Since it shuts down at midnight so the fish have a period of total darkness, I don't really get blue moonlight. I quite like the 24/7 as it offers a more surreal viewing experience mimicking nature and my plants (low tech) do well. If I had a high tech tank with more ferts and CO2, I'd need brighter light and this light on max may not be enough with a 24" tank depth. But it works great for my 60g planted display tank in the living room. :)

Wow - that's first good thing I've heard about the 24/7 feature!

So - what types of plants are you keeping? I'm low tech - no CO2 etc. I do have swords which are heavy feeders and require strong light. I'm happy to switch it to that, but I don't want to harm my plants somehow. (Though honestly, if they've survived this long with their terrible light I'm sure I can't do much worse).

I'm not too worried about a little algae - the Albino Bristlenose will enjoy the tasty snack.

I do have swords which are heavy feeders and require strong light. I'm happy to switch it to that, but I don't want to harm my plants somehow. (Though honestly, if they've survived this long with their terrible light I'm sure I can't do much worse).

I'm not too worried about a little algae - the Albino Bristlenose will enjoy the tasty snack.

Unfortunately, the species of "problem" algae that appear when the light/nutrient balance is out are those that no fish will eat, with one or two exceptions (but those fish have other problems).

Swords can do well with moderate light. Even so, I have had black brush algae issues a cople times on these plants.

Unfortunately, the species of "problem" algae that appear when the light/nutrient balance is out are those that no fish will eat, with one or two exceptions (but those fish have other problems).

Swords can do well with moderate light. Even so, I have had black brush algae issues a cople times on these plants.

Good to know - I did not think that Bristlenose were picky about algae. I'll try the 24/7 setting for a few weeks and see what happens. I'll update my progress on this thread!

Good to know - I did not think that Bristlenose were picky about algae. I'll try the 24/7 setting for a few weeks and see what happens. I'll update my progress on this thread!
Id suggest going to the Barr report, from Tom Barr and reading as many articles in there as possible about lighting and nutrient uptake ect...
Having said that swords do fine with moderate light as long as other needs are met, macro and micro nutrients mainly through the substrate as swords are heavy root feeders.

Id suggest going to the Barr report, from Tom Barr and reading as many articles in there as possible about lighting and nutrient uptake ect...
Having said that swords do fine with moderate light as long as other needs are met, macro and micro nutrients mainly through the substrate as swords are heavy root feeders.
Barr developed the Estimated Index - (high tech) lots of fertilization, bright light, CO2, and large weekly water changes. GREAT for an aqua garden planted tank, I'm not so sure about fish.

Barr developed the Estimated Index - (high tech) lots of fertilization, bright light, CO2, and large weekly water changes. GREAT for an aqua garden planted tank, I'm not so sure about fish.
Yup, he addresses the effects nutrients can have on the aquariums inhabitants in plenty of his articles.
If one wants to grow aquarium plants then absorbing info from someone like tom barr can be useful for growing plants. I dont use the Walstad method yet i can still t
Incorporate concepts from the Walstad method to better understand how to grow plants. Great thing about the internet is its full of easily accessible info and while the hobby knowledge is ever growing and evolving why not take advantage of all the info one can gather and use what applies to ones particular circumstance?

... Great thing about the internet is its full of easily accessible info and while the hobby knowledge is ever growing and evolving why not take advantage of all the info one can gather and use what applies to ones particular circumstance?
Unfortunately some of it is over the head of many new hobbyists and some of it is all wrong! Too many prevailing myths that keep being echoed by well meaning hobbyists and wanna be gurus over and over so it seems like they must be true. So the information on the internet is great, but only if taken with a grain of salt and put under a logic magnifying glass.

Unfortunately some of it is over the head of many new hobbyists and some of it is all wrong! Too many prevailing myths that keep being echoed by well meaning hobbyists and wanna be gurus over and over so it seems like they must be true. So the information on the internet is great, but only if taken with a grain of salt and put under a logic magnifying glass.

G
I agree which is why its important to know ones source. I agree one should take it all with a grain of salt and if one can take a grain of salt from each source and use it effectively one will have some seasoned ideas. Like i said i would suggest to any body growing plants in their tanks to gather as much reputable information as possible and Tom Barr has a lot of tried and true reputable information as do others and i agree there are a lot of myths and bad info out there and i think its important as you say to take the info one gathers with a grain of salt and a critical eye to season ones thoughts.

Nailed it. While there is tons of great info, to this day I hear myths from 20+ years ago. Like an inch per gallon, don't do over 20% water change, water change once a month, and a fish will only grow to the size of its tank. All false info that's been circulating for years.

Thanks for all of the feedback, friends!

I have been looking through the Barr report and much of their articles are for planted tanks that are super high tech (which mine is not) + use terminology that is way above my head.

Do any of you have articles (not necessarily by Tom Barr) that would help educate me more?

Nailed it. While there is tons of great info, to this day I hear myths from 20+ years ago. Like an inch per gallon, don't do over 20% water change, water change once a month, and a fish will only grow to the size of its tank. All false info that's been circulating for years.
The inch/ gallon rule still applies in certain circumstances when applied correctly.
Having said that i agree there is a lot of misinformation out there. The solution isnt to ignore all information like Tom Barr because one might take it out of context.
I hear some pretty ridiculous things on here daily and im sure over the years ive said my share were all growing in the hobby and the hobby is always changing and growing and it can be difficult to keep up with those changes which is why a place like this where people of like thought can gather and share ideas, part of that sharing of ideas for me is suggesting that those wanting knowledge obtain it from reputable sources who know way more than me, Tom Barr is one of those people.

Thanks for all of the feedback, friends!

I have been looking through the Barr report and much of their articles are for planted tanks that are super high tech (which mine is not) + use terminology that is way above my head.

Do any of you have articles (not necessarily by Tom Barr) that would help educate me more?
Look up Diane Walstad articles. She did low tech planted tanks.i dont do high tech either and i get tom barr may be over your head hes over most including me.

Looks so great! I'm just going to follow this thread so I could get the link and the name of the light. I'm hoping to get it from amazon . co . uk ..

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back