200L Community tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mthan

Reaction score
so I am new to all this and have seen a 200L tank for sale near me (4ft(L) x 14"(W) x 18"(H)) and would like to set up a planted community tank is this too small, too much for a 1st timer,etc any advice would be helpfull

so I am new to all this and have seen a 200L tank for sale near me (4ft(L) x 14"(W) x 18"(H)) and would like to set up a planted community tank is this too small, too much for a 1st timer,etc any advice would be helpfull
Not to small

The dimensions are a standard 50-gallon (200 liter) tank. This is not too small certainly. The lighting will be your first issue. When deciding that, you need to know what sort of "planted" tank you are intending--the low tech or natural, with nutrients primarily supplied by the fish (organics) with some supplementation by fertilizer, all the way up to the high tech with intense lighting, CO2 diffusion, and daily fertilization. The light drives plant photosynthesis, both the intenbsity and spectrum are important.

Larger tanks tend to naturally be more biologically stable so this is a benefit. And you can fit more fish in!

Which brings me to water parameters...something you will want to know before any decisions are made, though fish have much greater sensitivity to these than plants. The GH (general or total hardness) and pH of your source (tap) water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back