20 gallon stocking ideas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

PastyPlayz

Reaction score
So I am currently thinking of setting up a 20 gallon community tank with 1 honey gourami, 7 neon or green neon tetras and 6 corys. Do you guys think I can add 4 pearl danios or have any other stocking ideas plz let me know. Thanks

First, can you give us your source water parameters (GH and pH particularly)? Most of us don't want to be suggesting fish that may have specific requirements if it won't work due to the water.

Also, is this a basic (high) 20g, or a long 20g? That makes a difference too.

While waiting for the above, danios are too active to suit this tank and the mentioned fish (gourami and either neon, both of which are sedate fish).

The green or false neon is a wonderful little fish, not all that common due to its sensitive nature and thus specific water parameters, but if you can provide these this is a real beauty. It remains considerably smaller that the other two "neon" species and thus suits smaller tanks as it can be in a larger group which frankly is essential. I presently have 23 in my 29g Amazon blackwater tank, three of which are survivors from my former group that I acquired about seven years ago.

First, can you give us your source water parameters (GH and pH particularly)? Most of us don't want to be suggesting fish that may have specific requirements if it won't work due to the water.

Also, is this a basic (high) 20g, or a long 20g? That makes a difference too.

While waiting for the above, danios are too active to suit this tank and the mentioned fish (gourami and either neon, both of which are sedate fish).

The green or false neon is a wonderful little fish, not all that common due to its sensitive nature and thus specific water parameters, but if you can provide these this is a real beauty. It remains considerably smaller that the other two "neon" species and thus suits smaller tanks as it can be in a larger group which frankly is essential. I presently have 23 in my 29g Amazon blackwater tank, three of which are survivors from my former group that I acquired about seven years ago.
I canā€™t find the ph but I found out that my water hardness is 4. It would probably be a 20 high but I havenā€™t set anything up yet so a 20 long is a possibility and i was talking about celestial pearl danios if that changes anything. Because what I found online states that a 10 gallon is the minimum for them

I canā€™t find the ph but I found out that my water hardness is 4. It would probably be a 20 high but I havenā€™t set anything up yet so a 20 long is a possibility and i was talking about celestial pearl danios if that changes anything. Because what I found online states that a 10 gallon is the minimum for them

I would assume the 4 is in dGH, so 4 dGH, which is equivalent to 70 ppm. So this is soft water. It is advisable to get yourself a pH test kit, as this is a parameter worth testing from time to time. The GH will remain much what it is, but the pH can fluctuate.

It would seem soft water species are the way to go, which is good because there are so many more options for smallish tanks. If you can get a 20g long, it is more useful than the 20g high. The former has a footprint of 30 inches (75cm) by 12 inches (30 cm). This is the same as the basic 29g which gives you a bit more height. So if you can accommodate the 20g long, a 29g might serve you even better! I have two of these, nice tanks.

CPD are best either alone in a large group (20), or in much larger tanks they can be community fish. They prefer soft water, but a basic pH which is a bit unusual, so pinning down the pH is important. But subject to that, this is an option for the 20g with 20 CPD, but no other fish.

If you go with soft water species, there are many, depending which tank you choose.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back