20 Gallon Fish Tank

rose_may2000

New Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi, this would be a first for me, however im confused by all the different sites ive been on today

first off, i have a 20 gallon long tank. it is heated and has a filter and a light and all that jazz. i have a small flower pot, a rock formation, and a pvc pipe. Attatched to the pipe are some plastic plants.

Now i have a two inch texas cichlid and a a one inch. These I got from a breeder in my area (regrettably with little research). I also have a 4 inch pleco and a 2 inch buffalo head.

The larger texas is a terror and very aggressive. The buffalo head stays hidden around the rock formation and the smaller texas hides in the pipe. I never see them. It looks like i have nothing in my tank. I think I have the room to add at least two more two inch fish (intil they grow bigger). I was thinking something that is more of a top dweller. However I have no idea what to add.

My other option was to switch the tank entirely. I know in my area that I have a lot of ppl selling other cichlids ( convict,Pseudotropheus Demasoni ,Taiwan
reef ,Ice Blue Zebra ,Kenyi ,Eureka Peacock ,Elongatus Chewere ,Electric Yellow,Crimson Tide ,Venestus)

I was thinking it would be easier and more colorful to add guppys, playtys, gourmies or mollies with some danios or tetras. Not in that exact combo but you get my general idea.

Does anyone have any ideas? It would be greatly appreciated.
 
I have platys in with zebra danios and corydoras in a 15 gallon, along with a couple green terror babies for the time being, and they all get along great. I have a variation of platys in different colors, and it makes for an awesome visual display with them all doing their thing around the tank. Just wanted to share my experience with you, as it is well worth it in my opinion to have them. As for if they'd be able to go in your tank as is (with your current fish), someone else would have to answer as I'm not that experienced in fish keeping, but I know for sure that they were a great purchase for me. :good:
 
Hi rose_may2000 :)

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

It's clear that with the size tank you have, and the size your fish will grow to, you are right in thinking you will need to make some changes. I'll move your thread to the Tropical Discussion section where it will be read by more members.

IMHO, a 20 gallon long is a nice size for a peaceful community tank and it could be nicely stocked with a variety of interesting and colorful, but smaller fish. :D
 
the fish cant stay in that tank they will out grow it. a 20g tank would be a nice comunity tank
what about a pair of apisto
1 male 2 female platys
1 male 2 female guppies
6 tetras
and a dwarf or honey gourami as a center picse fish
 
Texas cichlids (and even just about every other cichlid you mentioned you've seen for sale) get too big for a 20g tank. A single green terror is also too big for a 15g let alone 3 of them.

I would go with Inchworm's idea and do a nice community tank. You could put some colourful guppies/platies/gourami/tetras etc. in there as you mentioned you liked them in your post.

For a more specific idea, rehome all of your current fish (unless someone comes along with a better idea that is) and go with
2 honey gourami
3 platy
3-5 guppy
6 neon tetra
4 albino catfish
 
Texas cichlids (and even just about every other cichlid you mentioned you've seen for sale) get too big for a 20g tank. A single green terror is also too big for a 15g let alone 3 of them.

I would go with Inchworm's idea and do a nice community tank. You could put some colourful guppies/platies/gourami/tetras etc. in there as you mentioned you liked them in your post.

For a more specific idea, rehome all of your current fish (unless someone comes along with a better idea that is) and go with
2 honey gourami
3 platy
3-5 guppy
6 neon tetra
4 albino catfish
what do you mean by albino catfish? if you mean albino corys that would be fine but if you mean albino pleco then no
 
Texas cichlids (and even just about every other cichlid you mentioned you've seen for sale) get too big for a 20g tank. A single green terror is also too big for a 15g let alone 3 of them.

I would go with Inchworm's idea and do a nice community tank. You could put some colourful guppies/platies/gourami/tetras etc. in there as you mentioned you liked them in your post.

For a more specific idea, rehome all of your current fish (unless someone comes along with a better idea that is) and go with
2 honey gourami
3 platy
3-5 guppy
6 neon tetra
4 albino catfish


ok thanks i will, i already talked to a guy in my area that has a 210 gallon tank and he will be taking them.

the fish cant stay in that tank they will out grow it. a 20g tank would be a nice comunity tank
what about a pair of apisto
1 male 2 female platys
1 male 2 female guppies
6 tetras
and a dwarf or honey gourami as a center picse fish


thanks for the options, i will for sure be changing my tank around
 

Most reactions

Back
Top