2 Outlet Air Pump But Only 1 Outlet In Use

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DragonLass

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello
Just a fairly simple question I hope. I have a 2 outlet air pump, but I only need 1 of the outlets for my tank.
I have it connected to an airstone at the moment, however it is quite noisy because of all the air coming from the unused outlet.
Is there any way of easily disabling the other outlet? I don't mind opening it up and poking around inside if I need to.

Couldn't you use plug an airline to it, and leave it there? If it still makes a noise, just put the airline into your tank.

Hmmm... maybe I will open it up and poke around.
I would just stick some tubing on and put the other one in the tank too but I only have 1 airstone and without one it is just as noisy as leaving it.

Or maybe I should just fork the money out and buy a nice quiet single outlet unit :alien: Its only really for decoration anyway.

Buy an airline Tee piece and connect the two outlets into one.

I did the same I bought a four outlet pump for a 3ft tank(I like bubbles :fun:) I did some of the thing suggested above doubling up the outlets and such like but I have now started on a planted tank so wanted to lower the amount of surface disruption. To stop the noise buy the cheapest air stone you can find and put it on to a small length of airline. You don't even have to put it in the tank.

Peace at last.

Tee, airstone outside of tank, shutoff valve...these are correct, as good diaphragm-type pumps tend to quiet down under load. I like using a tee; I use that same setup with a Rena 400.

Even using a cheap airstone outside of the tank will work great, because it puts a slight load on the unused side, which should quiet it down considerably.

v/r, N-A

"T" into one.... or use a length of hose with some cotton wool taped over the end - DO NOT blank it off or it will naff the pump !

what about connecting airline tubing with a checkvalve turned baackwards

As almost all of the posts above say, most airpumps will recommend if you only need a single outlet to use a T piece to connect the two outlets together into a single feed. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Back