2 gallon nano setup shrimp?! Fish?! Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Skippered

Reaction score
Hello good morning or after noon. I have this 2 gallon that's been going for some time with local wild moss (tested and works) and very small duck weed. Am looking to put a sponge filter in it and getting rid of the old filter (to bulky).
Tank size L=12" H=8" W=6"
Almost forgot ALL NATURAL SUNLIGHT USE

Am really wanting to put some shrimp into it but I want fish of some kind and I know its only 2 gallons not alot of room in there but I was thinking of having nano fish for thier waste product so shrimp can snack when not fed

Attachments

• 20190402_105027.jpg
    20190402_105027.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 156
2 gallons is too small for any fish. The so-called nano fish all need to be in a large shoal, which would not be suitable for such a small tank. 2 gallons is even too small for a single betta, which would quite likely eat the shrimps, or at least try to eat them.

I am confused by "nano fish for thier waste product so shrimp can snack when not fed" because shrimps do not eat fish waste. The only connection I can think of is that too much fish waste might encourage algae for the shrimps to eat. Or they would eat left over fish food if you overfed the fish, which is not a good idea in any size tank, and particularly not in such a small space.

Thank you for your response and i was aware shrimp feed of fish poo as well. My mistake but I think I'll just turn it into a desktop shrimp nano

They make shrimp food. I personally feel the tank is even too small for the shrimp. I had my red cherry shrimp in a 10 gallon and just had to move them to a 20 gallon long. They reproduce like rabbits. I started with 10 several months ago and now have about 75.

That sound like a good problem and yeah I dont even know where this tank was made and what its intent was for even existing 2gallons is very small just thought it would be really cool to have a mini shrimp tank. I wasnt worried about the repopulating I have another 10 gallon I would like to put shrimp into later as well as a 5.5 gallon

If you have other places to put them then you can start them in the small tank. I wouldn’t keep it in direct sunlight though. You should have a top also with shrimp as males have been known to wander out if the water line is too high in search of ladies.

Hmmm :( I guess I could start them in the smaller tank but I was hoping to use the smaller tank to encourage more interaction. But in your case you moved them to larger area and that made them explode :S

Hmmm :( I guess I could start them in the smaller tank but I was hoping to use the smaller tank to encourage more interaction. But in your case you moved them to larger area and that made them explode :S
I agree that putting them in a 10g is a better option. As cute as shrimps are they do breed quite a lot giving the right water conditions and environment. I’d personally use the current tank you have for a few snails only.

They would have exploded in either tank.

Yikes ok, thanks for all of your input I shall turn that 2gallon into my moss and duck weed tank.... snails... lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back