2 buy / not 2 buy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No, sorry decided after reading a few copies of PKF to subscribe to Tropical Fishkeeper. More my style.

Getting into my area now. All animals have a part of the brain between the hemispheres called the limbic brain. This deals with autonomic and lesser instinctive functions. We too have this area. What is different about higher primates including ourselves is apart of the brain called the neo-cortex. This deals with intell. and problems and reasoning. That is what makes us intellectually different to fish. I agree you can train a fish to do tricks, but again it based on the feed and reward instint principle as in the PDS(pavlov's dog syndrome). You cannot ask a fish to do any sort of trick if you don't reward it with anything. It's not memory that makes a fish do tricks, it's an instinct for survival. Like myself, I am now a black belt 2nd dan in Aikido. (non-practicing...feeling too old and decrepid)A lot of the moves I had to learn again and again, and yes I had spent several months tweking the moves until one day it became totally instinctive. I would dare say if I were to be attacked, I wouldn't have to think thus using memory to defend myself. It would hopefully come naturally-instinctively.
Probably after the event I would engage my brain and think o poo did I do that? OR word to that effect.

Dragon, I was just talking to my dog. He said one of the most amusing observations he has made, has been how speach gets us humans into a lot of trouble. In conferring with other species, he has determined this view is widespread.

Word is, animals are disgusted by the human arrogance and belief, that speach and intellect are proportianally relative. Most species are afraid of humans because of our size, and in a moment of self effacement, my dog admitted the opposable thumb thing has him a little peeved also. He said lab rats have done studies that show their thimonontsis is far superiror, whatever that means.
So I have learned not to be quick to judge. :)

O.K. GL, What you are saying in a round about way is you feel that fish has a memory span greater than 3 minutes also.Is that right? :p

Lakes, the word thimonontsis doesn't compute. it's not held in the PC's databanks (most words from the encyclopedia britannica are listed-I hope they are, I paid £59.99 for the CD))- can you explain what it means please?
I never said I was intelligent, all I said were fish wern't.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dragon, I don't know what it is. It's something lab rats have discovered. I guess after all the scientists go home, they run their own experiments :)

I am just funnin around. I just picture our pets as being smarter than they are given credit for. It makes it that much more enjoyable to care for them.
I almost cried when I lost my saltwater fish to that darn cucomber!

Have you seen the new planet of the apes? I definitely prefer the old version with Charlton Heston and Roddy Mcdowell.
I could just imagine role reversal, could'nt you???? :laugh: :laugh: I agree with you to some extent,what make us think we are superior is our noggin and size. When you compare us to any other animal,size for size-we are the weakest species. Maybe you do have something????

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back