2 Atomizers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SLIM

Fish Herder
Reaction score
If I wanted to use 2 atomizers in the same tank using one reg, would it be as simple as T-ing off the co2 hose or would I need to use something similar to this..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Way-Brass-Co2-Splitter-Solenoid-Regulator-Aquarium-tank-/150999521671?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14587%26meid%3D6385827228910475468%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D300867339399%26
Obviously not a 3 way but something with 2 seperate needle valves and outputs?

Tbh im hoping its as simple as a T in the pipe.
Can anyone confirm this can be done? Or would I need an additional valve?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ideally they'd need separate needle valves, otherwise one will end up with most of the flow.

I thought you needed to run the regulator at a specific pressure to operate an atomiser. So by splitting the Co2 pipe would you not also be halving the pressure? You'd need to run the regulator at double the pressure to run both atomisers so you'd need to make sure the reg can do this as well as the tubing and splitter valve

DrRob said:
Ideally they'd need separate needle valves, otherwise one will end up with most of the flow.
Oh man! Whats the most effective way of defusing co2 into a tank the size of mine? 600L

Lunar Jetman said:
I thought you needed to run the regulator at a specific pressure to operate an atomiser. So by splitting the Co2 pipe would you not also be halving the pressure? You'd need to run the regulator at double the pressure to run both atomisers so you'd need to make sure the reg can do this as well as the tubing and splitter valve
good point

I need a nice and easy injection method for a 600L

For a tank the size of yours it would be better to use a external reactor, the Aqua Medic 1000 Reactor would fit the bill IMO.

Livewire88 said:
For a tank the size of yours it would be better to use a external reactor, the Aqua Medic 1000 Reactor would fit the bill IMO.
Ok I think you may be onto something here.
Iv never seen one of these, can you explain to me how they work please.
Do they need an external to run? Trouble with my external is it has massive pipes. 1 inch inside diameter.

SLIM said:
Do they need an external to run? Trouble with my external is it has massive pipes. 1 inch inside diameter.

Here is a picture of the one I used to own, the problem I had was it was to big for my cabinet so I had to sell it on. 

P1010848.jpg

You may be able to work it out, but the way it works is the Co2 is fed into the reactor and is bashed about with all the media (Bio balls in this one) and the Co2 is dissolved 100% before it enters the tank. This way you wont waste any Co2.

The downside you have is that it wont fit your pipework without modification, and then it would more than likely lower your flow rate. So the best thing to do if you are serious is buy a cheap second hand external just to run the reactor from, you could run the filter with no media or pack it with filter floss. 

If I had a tank the size of yours this is the way I would go.   

Livewire88 said:

Here is a picture of the one I used to own, the problem I had was it was to big for my cabinet so I had to sell it on. 

P1010848.jpg

You may be able to work it out, but the way it works is the Co2 is fed into the reactor and is bashed about with all the media (Bio balls in this one) and the Co2 is dissolved 100% before it enters the tank. This way you wont waste any Co2.

The downside you have is that it wont fit your pipework without modification, and then it would more than likely lower your flow rate. So the best thing to do if you are serious is buy a cheap second hand external just to run the reactor from, you could run the filter with no media or pack it with filter floss. 

If I had a tank the size of yours this is the way I would go.   
Thank you
Your an absolute star. This is the route im going to take:)
Thanx again

They're relatively simple to DIY if you're going to have to mess with connectors anyway. Just remember flow goes down, gas rises.

DrRob said:
They're relatively simple to DIY if you're going to have to mess with connectors anyway. Just remember flow goes down, gas rises.
Yea I kinda guess that. Altho when the gas shuts off after lights out, wont the gas inside the reactor travel up the pipe back into the canister?

^^ This is of course assuming i put the filter/pump on the same timer as the solenoid ^^

SLIM said:
^^ This is of course assuming i put the filter/pump on the same timer as the solenoid ^^

It wont harm the filter anyway even if the Co2 did flow back into it. 

Also... If i would to use a canister just for the reator, would it be more benificial to connect the reator to the canisters intake rather than the output as this will mix up and dissolve the co2 even more so as it will have to pass through the reator and the canisters impeller?

OR.... would it be possible to feed a co2 pipe into my FX5s intake and let the co2 disslove inside my filter and just bypass a reator? Or could this damage my filter and kill my bacteria?

Well you could plumb it into your FX5 and have it pass through the media, there are people who do this without issues but some people say high levels of Co2 harm the bacteria. But I cant understand this as the water will be going through the filter anyway. 

If it were me I would just get a cheap small external and use the intake like you said, thinking of it I guess you could just use the filter as the reactor. Fill it up with bio balls and I would think it will work the same way as the AM 1000. 

Ditto Livewire. I was talking to someone a while ago about getting the CO2 properly dissolved into a tank and he suggested the same thing in that letting the filter do all the work of mashing up the CO2. It will be the cheapest option and will probably be fairly effective as well!

I plan to do it when I can get around to sorting it out!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back