175 Uk Gallon Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

CAC

Formerly: Catfish Are Cool
Reaction score
Hi i may be getting a 175 UK Gallon tank and was woundering what people would put in them. looking for something unusual, but not too hard to keep E.G: Needs tonnes of live food or eats flies etc.
if you have any ideas then please tell me.
thank you, mikey

You could do piranhas, they are not oddballs but are very hardy and dont need livefoods, they can actually eat pellets. Perhaps brackish? A nice school of monos with columbian sharks would be nice.

Depends on what you are interested in really. Are you looking for something new and challenging or just low maintenance and enjoyable?

Are you looking for something new and challenging or just low maintenance and enjoyable?
Something low maintenance and enjoyable really. im up for a challenge but wouldnt want something that needed large ammounts of expensive care. i have the time but not particularly the money... im 15 so the money doesnt exactly come rolling in, but i do have the time. id like to keep something that isnt just on its own. id like a good few things too look at. im not really into the "just one or two fish in a tank approach" like rays etc (allthough i know my tank is too small for rays anyway).
i like the phrana idea, but i live in England and dont know how much they cost and im pretty sure i cant just get them from my local fish shop...
thanks, mikey

EDIT: how many eels could i keep or if i could keep only one could i keep anything else in there?

i actually saw prahina in my LFS on the weekend for £3.99! then i saw loads of other sorts in different places at £80 etc.

i'd go with prahina option personally.

:good:

i actually saw prahina in my LFS on the weekend for £3.99! then i saw loads of other sorts in different places at £80 etc.

i'd go with prahina option personally.

:good:
I do like the sound of them but how many could i keep and what do people feed them?
i also wouldnt mind keeping some rather large catfishes. Can anyone reccomend any?

Ornate Bichir Polypterus ornatipinnis are really nice. They grow to 18" sometimes getting as big as 24". Keep in a temperature of 26-28°C. Water chemistry isn't critical, medium hard, either side of pH7 but not extremes. Can be kept with larger fish such as Cichlids and Knifefish, might bite slower moving fish. It's a carnivore so feed it mussel, earthworms, etc.

IMHO fire eels are the most friendly and easy to care for when it comes to eels, but that is just IME. Tyre tracks just get to aggresive and other spineys probably just wouldn't fit into the tank that I think you are aiming for. Fire eels are gorgeous (IMO) and they can be kept with a veriaty of fish. I think that I read in a different topic that they don't go with Pike (can't remember exactly but I think that was it). They can defo be kept with birchirs but I have never kept them with pirana myself and never actually seen them. Also Eels are very easy to care for IME, they are feed mainly on blood worm (basicly most worms that are classed as food). You may be able to keep eels with pirana's but you would have to ask a pirana expert guy somewhere on this forum. :good: good luck with the new tank!

Piranha Central

You may be able to keep eels with pirana's
If you want a dead eel you can keep piranhas with it.

I do like the sound of them but how many could i keep and what do people feed them?
There are many many species of piranha so I cant answer that question. Feeding more or less depends on the species, but ALL piranha accept frozen foods so dont let people tell you that piranhas only eat live foods.

piranha are easy enough to take care of in a big well filtered tank but remember if you go with piranha you wont be able to keep anything else in the tank.i have 4 red bellies and they are cool fish.you cant beat feeding time in a piranha tank :) if you like catfish how about a nice group of pim pictus they will get to a descent size in a big tank like yours :nod: and 4 or 5 balas maybe?none of which are oddballs :lol:as someone mentioned the ornate bichir is a great oddball choice i have one :good:

thanks for all your help. the 175 i was planning on getting is now too expensive, as the price i thought it was going to be was with all equipment, but it doesnt have any with it now. so im planning on getting a 150 :D
ill keep you posted.
thanks, mikey
EDIT: is it true that arowanas are like £1,000-£2,000?!?!

thanks for all your help. the 175 i was planning on getting is now too expensive, as the price i thought it was going to be was with all equipment, but it doesnt have any with it now. so im planning on getting a 150 :D
ill keep you posted.
thanks, mikey
EDIT: is it true that arowanas are like £1,000-£2,000?!?!

It is true that some asian aro's are sold for that ridiculous price. However you can get LOADS of aro's for a lot cheaper. How bout an asian green aro? they are round £90 (i think).

Most reactions

Back