15 Gallon Tank Journal

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ColdwaterJosh

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello there folks! I decided to keep a little journal on here about my progress with my 15 Gallon Marine aquarium. It's not a huge tank, but fits well into my room and provides that sea side smell, which I love :wub:

So far I have mixed up all my water and added it to my tank yesterday, and left it overnight with a heater and pump ,and also sneakily stole some of my brothers waste water for an Ammonia boost to get the ball rolling.

So today I woke up to my mail man almost taking my door off it's hinges, but I let him off as he was delivering my Live Rock :D

I ordered the rock on Saturday night, to give me time to prepare for it's arrival :good: All together it cost me £36.00 including delivery, for 5 kilo of live rock. And you may think, 5kg pffft, nothing. But, these are big very light and porous pieces of live rock, covered in Coraline :drool:

Here are some photo's:

Tank from an Isometric view for you all :shifty:
100_2894.jpg

Lots of lovely coraline :wub:
100_2897.jpg

Front view
100_2895.jpg

Some more rock
100_2900.jpg

And lastly, my lovely little blue hermit crab
100_2907.jpg

My next steps after this will be to get some Argonite sand to keep the Ph levels stable, and after I have left that for a couple weeks and all my water chemistry is correct i'll proceed to add some Fishies.

I'm considering getting a Yellow Watchman Gobie and a Pistol Shrimp, and maybe two black clowns.

Please comment away folks!

Josh.

:hi: to the salty side of the forum, looking forward to seeing your tank develop.

One point, you will need to have surface agitation :good:

But looking really nice so far :D

Seffie x

welcome to the salty side!!

the pictures imo look like freshly budded mushrooms :hyper: . If i'm correct then they are nothing to worry about, however they could be pest anemones :blink: (lets just hope they arent).

Thank you Milkton :good: I hope they aren't pests, otherwise.... BLOWTORCH TIME :hey:

My argonite sand arrived today, it is Samosa Pink, and I really love it, but I cannot place it in my tank just yet, as my Amonia is reading at 0.5 and my nitrates at 10. I need for them to be at 0 before I place anything in the tank so i'm told by my brother :/

Will just have to wait, anyway here is a picture of the sand which arrived this morning:

100_2921.jpg

you can put sand in before your stats r fine :lol: why did your bro say that?

I can't remember why, but he generally is very clued up about why. He is on this forum alot "AK77" :good:

MAJOR PROBLEM, I just checked my pump which is ment to be giving circulation, and it was clogged and hasn't been putting out anything :grr: My tank smells of Egg (sulphur) where lots has died, i'm so pee'd off right now, just hope everything isn't dead. I checked it all yesterday and it was running, so it's been about a day without circulation :crazy:

I've just inserted a Haliea 3000LPH pump to get things going again, the impeller in it is VERY noisey but I don't want my tank to die so i'll sleep with the noise, it's just really powerful and I need to get circulation going again! Fingers crossed not all my rock is dead as i'll be very upset :angry:

Ok so after nearly all my rock dieing, I managed to gain all my bacteria back, and my Ammonia levels are now at 0.

Found this little thing on my rock and have no clue what it is:
100_2928.jpg

and the tank right now, with the sand settling:
100_2931.jpg

Most reactions

Back