15 Gallon Stocking Ideas

the420buzz

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 19, 2009
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I'd just like to get some ideas of what to put in my 15 gallon, once I take my BGK and Bicker back tomorrow (as much as I like them, my tanks way too small).

I also have my 5 gallon, which has 3 red wag platties, 3 zebra danios, 2 corys, and 3 green terror babies (which will be moved into the 15 once I take my bicker and BGK back, as I don't want them to get eaten.) I know I'm about to hear that I've overstocked it, but they all get on well, have been for the last month. Anyways, I'd like something a bit different than these (although I quite like the platties, they've got quite the personality to them).

Thanks to anyone who will give me some suggestions!
 
Nobody has any ideas? Sorry to bump this so soon but I plan to return the BGK and bicher tomorrow, and while I have a slight idea of what I'll be getting, I'd like to hear some suggestions.
 
Hey there.

You need to up your cory school to at least 4 as they are a schooling fish and prefer larger groups.

I also believe you will need to return the green terrors as they get quite large and aggresive, but maybe someone else can fill you in a bit more on them as i'm not familier with them, just stating my suspitions.

What is your ratio of platties? How many males do you have to females? I say this because if your planning on livebearers then your pretty much stocked as they breed like wildfire and you may soon be over run with fry.
 
Hey, thanks for the response!

I've been wanting to get more corys since I bought those two (LFS had a deal 2 for $1.99, wish I would of grabbed 4 then), so I plan to increase their crowd sometime soon. (Still looking into a bigger tank as well, but the BGK and bicher shall return to the LFS for now.)

The green terrors I'm aware get quite big, my friend (that also gave me the tanks I have) gave me four small babies (almost fry, they were tiny) from his breeding pair about a month ago. Since then, one unfortunatly didn't make it, two are growing nicely, gorgeous little guys, while the third had a period of not eating or swimming around much, and no growth, but has luckily began eating and swimming in the past couple days, so I removed him from my 15 and back with his 'brothers' in my 5 for now.

My platy ratio is 2 females, 1 male. And yes, indeed, I believe I will be soon overrun with fry just as much as you think. The one female is nice and fat and I'm pretty sure she's pregnant. The male was also following her around for a good week or two (not attacking, just sitting beside her and if she swam away, he'd follow and continue to sit next to her). I've read thats a good ratio (perhaps a third female to be safe stress-wise). Just so you know I'm sure, (forgive me for my lack of scientific names) the females anal fin fans out, while the male's is more or less a stick.

As for my 15 gallon, I was thinking about maybe a gold gourami, as they are great on the eyes, and also on sale at my LFS at the moment. I've heard they can be aggressive though, although my friend says his has survived a lot and never showed signs of dieing.

If I was to get one, what would be some good tank mates for him/her? And I'm still open to hearing suggestions (say, if I don't get the gold gourami). Thanks again for the reply.
 
I'm pretty sure the green terrors will outgrow the 15gal too. And i think gold gouramis are a little large for the tank too although they are a beautiful fish.

What type of tank were you going for? Community or speciese? Maybe something else, if you like gourami's the honey or powder blues are small enough for your tank and are very colourful.
 
1 green terror (let alone 3) is too big for a 15g tank. Gold gourami won't work either. Have a look at honey gourami instead (as already suggested) as they would be suitable for a 15g tank.

green terror info
gold gourami info
 
Well, I went on a platy frenzie. Can't help but love the little guys/girls. I picked up 3 Velvet Tuxedo Platties for $7.50, and picked four out of an assorted tank. My girlfriend also picked herself out a Black Panther Platy, which I couldn't help but like as well. Also, I've moved all I had from the 5g into the 15g, as I got word today I'll be recieving a 32g and another smaller tank for free. So now, I've got a (pretty much) 15g platy tank, that looks awesome with them all together. Perhaps a bit overstocked, but not as bad as what I had in the 5 gallon in my opinion. Here's the rundown.

15g
3x Red Wag Platties (2 female, 1 male; 1 suspected pregnant)
3x Velvet Tuxedo Platties (2 female, 1 male)
1x Mickey Mouse Platy (can't remember off hand)
3x Assorted Platties (not sure of sexes, or species; will post pictures soon)
3x Green Terror Babies (heading to the 32g once they're a bit bigger and once I get it up and running)
3x Zebra Danios (2 females, 1 male; 1 suspected carrying eggs)
2x Cories
1x Goldfish (heading to the 32g when it gets set up; I'm aware its cold water.)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top