125 L. / 33 Gal. Low Light, Low Maintenance

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

George Farmer

ad aqua
Reaction score

Ferns, Anubias, Crypts. No pruning. Fish are 10 pentazona barbs, 12 glowlight danios, 10 Amano shrimp.

Juwel lighting (2 x 18w T8) with Zoo Med Ultra Sun and Arcadia FW tubes - 9 hours.

2ml Tropica+ liquid per day, 1/3 water change per week. Hard tap water loaded with NO3 and PO4.

Standard Juwel filter (600lph).

CO2 mist via 2Kg pressurized system and Rhinox 2000 diffuser.

Tropica Plant Substrate and capsules.

Easy life!

Looks gorgeous! How long has it been running George? Would be interested to know how long it took to fill out like that :)

Edit: Corrected spelling. Thats what you get for typing with peanut butter on your fingers and toast in your gob :D

I'm sure it is! A gorgeous tank as always George! You could probably wean yourself off the CO2 and the ferts in this tank though, go for complete lack of maintenance. :hyper: The plants are certainly filled in enough. Adding a school of 12 corydoras could possibly do the trick to minimize the addition of ferts, though I don't know for sure. You tend to use nutrient-rich substrates and I use inert ones, and this probably makes a considerable difference in the nutrient levels in our tanks and how we approach stocking. I also tend to use more filtration. I am in the process of weaning myself off the CO2 in my 20g. Infact, one of the two canisters goes today. I do not dose ferts. At any rate, a corydora school will add some lovely activity to the bottom, or perhaps some dwarf chain loaches? That would work equally well, take care of potential snails, and keep you within an Asian biotope, which this tank is predominantly (Anubias excluded, as they are from Africa). I think I've said this before, haven't I? What's the temperature of this tank? In farenheit please, it's too early for me to convert. That requires much more coffee then I've consumed this morning. :lol:

do u have like a step by step guide of this tank how u set it up what plants u used were u planted them because i found a really cheap juwel rio 125 and i wanted to do something low tech hardly any maintainance,

Its super beautiful, you are the java fern man, I never see them look so great in other tanks. It’s an excellent photo too, the background looks great.
I feel like it’s a bit of a nerve for me to say as I have never created a tank half so beautiful but the semi-circle of stones suggests a human touch in a scape that otherwise looks like a piece of nature. Its a great example of what a watt per gallon can achieve.

Am i the only person unable to see the picture of this tank??

Are you glad you went for the glowlights over the zebras George? Do they have a similar character/energy?

Dave.

Looks gorgeous! How long has it been running George? Would be interested to know how long it took to fill out like that :)

Thanks Dev.

The Java fern has been in there for over 12 months now. The crypts have been planted gradually, replacing weeds (Egeria, vallis, hygro, ambulia) over the last 10 months. It's a slow 'scape, but that's what I was after. It's quite rewarding seeing it slowly evolve over the weeks/months.

A gorgeous tank as always George! You could probably wean yourself off the CO2 and the ferts in this tank though, go for complete lack of maintenance.

... perhaps some dwarf chain loaches?
What's the temperature of this tank? In farenheit please, it's too early for me to convert.

Thanks llj.

When I get my big discus tank I'll likely run this non-CO2 and minimal water changes - proper El Natural!

I have considered dwarf chain loaches, but they are relatively expensive - approx 10 GBP (20 USD) each.

Temp is set to 77F (25C).

do u have like a step by step guide of this tank how u set it up what plants u used were u planted them because i found a really cheap juwel rio 125 and i wanted to do something low tech hardly any maintainance,

This tank will be featured in a forthcoming issue of PFK magazine, with professional photo shoot. I will describe step-by-step how I created it.

Its super beautiful, you are the java fern man, I never see them look so great in other tanks. It’s an excellent photo too, the background looks great.
I feel like it’s a bit of a nerve for me to say as I have never created a tank half so beautiful but the semi-circle of stones suggests a human touch in a scape that otherwise looks like a piece of nature. Its a great example of what a watt per gallon can achieve.

Thanks Liam.

Yes, I do love Java ferns - instant mid-ground. Fair point on the rocks. Steven Chong himself actually arranged them - so I blame him!

1 wpg with good CO2 and other nutrients is all you need for most plants I reckon. Just growth is slow. I may even try out some glosso, just for fun!

Another great scape George :)

Thanks Sam. It's ok, not great though...

Looks very good... My kind of tank...

Thanks Corin. Yes, I'm a big fan of low-maint these days. I don't have much time for anything else, although I'd love to do a dutch 'scape at some point.

Am i the only person unable to see the picture of this tank??

Try this link - http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/4378/shadexv4.jpg

Are you glad you went for the glowlights over the zebras George? Do they have a similar character/energy?

Dave.

Yes, Dave.

After some consideration decided that there wasn't enough open space for zebra danios. Glowlight danios are less "mad", but still provide sufficient movement for interest.

The glowlights are a subtle addition, colour-wise, from a distance. When you see them close-up they are stunning. Great fish.

It's a great shame my camera can't pick up the fish very well. It will be nice to see what Neil Hepworth (PFK photographer) does.

Thanks again, everyone.

Oh I dont know! Looks pretty good in the pic. I must admit I have thought about doing a non-stem scape with only rosette plants, save loads of time pruning even in an EI tank.

Sam

thats really beautiful Geroge. lovely green, it has a amazon feel to it. But i still wouldn't consider it as a low maintenance tank :p ahah.. changing water everyweek, with EI method in it, just quie a handful. and ferts everyday. But i guess what you need to do to keep it so nice. :) !

A gorgeous tank as always George! You could probably wean yourself off the CO2 and the ferts in this tank though, go for complete lack of maintenance.

... perhaps some dwarf chain loaches?
What's the temperature of this tank? In farenheit please, it's too early for me to convert.

Thanks llj.

When I get my big discus tank I'll likely run this non-CO2 and minimal water changes - proper El Natural!

I have considered dwarf chain loaches, but they are relatively expensive - approx 10 GBP (20 USD) each.

Temp is set to 77F (25C).

Ouch! $20 a piece. That's pricey for such a small fish. At 77, the tank is possibly a bit warm for some corydoras. Most species will adapt, but they are less active. If you get cories, try setting the temp to 74, it won't be too cold at all for the danios and barbs (which often prefer cooler temps within the tropical spectrum) and the corydoras will reward you with greater activity. This is, of course, if you do decide to get cories. :lol: What's your substrate? If you go completely El Natural, then you probably won't be able to add more fish, since Walstad's method calls for pretty light stocking. If you had gone the llj's "have your cake and eat it too" method to planted tanks, then you would have used an inert substrate, over-filtered, and enjoyed a tank with lots of fishies. But nobody's perfect. :p My tank, however, isn't being professionally photographed for PFK, now is it? :lol:

You are very talented and deserve every bit of success in this hobby. :flowers: Very few experts have made this hobby so accessable to everyone in such a short time and have given advice without being condescending. You are an asset to this hobby, for sure.

llj

....this is, of course, if you do decide to get cories.

You are very talented and deserve every bit of success in this hobby. :flowers: Very few experts have made this hobby so accessable to everyone in such a short time and have given advice without being condescending. You are an asset to this hobby, for sure.

llj

Thanks for the tips on cories. I'll bear this in mind if I ever do stock them.

And thank you kindly for your comments. It means a lot to recieve feedback like that. :)

Another fantastic looking tank George. Great choice on the Pentazona Barbs too, beautiful fish and so peaceful. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back