100% water change on 1gallon shrimp tank possible?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

I know smoe people on here think 1gallon shrimp tank is too small but some others don't. I was wodndering in regards to the weird species I have roaming around the tank, can I try to eliminate it by doin a 100% change and then carefully adding the simp back via some careful acclimatisation?

Not 100%. Shrimps are very sensitive. 10% weekly is better. Hopefully your tank is fully cycled. What kind of shrimp?

What weird species are you referring to? Can you get a pic? Maybe we can help identify and know what to do. I do 50-75% w/c every week on my shrimp tank but I think removing the shrimp may be too much.

I regularly change 80% in my RCS tank. Wouldn't it be easier just to move them into a temporary home. But what is the weird species? It wold defeat the object if they could attach themselves to the net.

Oh and RCS are fantastic hiders. Not sure what shrimp you have but you may well miss some.

What weird species are you referring to? Can you get a pic? Maybe we can help identify and know what to do. I do 50-75% w/c every week on my shrimp tank but I think removing the shrimp may be too much.
Someone else on the forum had an idea but they are tiny organisms that jump around and they came from the packet of fairy shrimp I put in. The fairy shrimp however never survived but these things did. You can see them on my YouTube channel moving around the plants.

Someone else on the forum had an idea but they are tiny organisms that jump around and they came from the packet of fairy shrimp I put in. The fairy shrimp however never survived but these things did. You can see them on my YouTube channel moving around the plants.

Strange. Since your tank is so small, I suppose you could remove the shrimp and scrub the bowl. Ditch the plants.

Strange. Since your tank is so small, I suppose you could remove the shrimp and scrub the bowl. Ditch the plants.

oh btw the timelapse link i showed you was for a snail only bottle aquarium, the shrimp its in a glass drinks dispenser.

Are the Red Cherry Shrimp? If so, they’re pretty hardy. I moved mine from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon with no issues. Just keep temp the same. I would say use some of your water but not in this case. Be sure to use dechlorinator.

Hi everyone, just wondering what you guys think of this idea. Instead of doing a 100% water change risking the shrimp being shocked to the new environment, what if I literally just take the water and stones out, heat it up in the microwave killing the tiny creatures then put the shrimp back in when it's cooled down?

Hi

Please successfully done a 100% water change however I have seen 2 of the tiny creatures in the tank. I did use a shower filling it up with hot water several times and pouring it all out. I managed to get one out by dipping some screwed up tissue paper next to it so it got stuck in the paper as I pulled it out.

Hi

Please successfully done a 100% water change however I have seen 2 of the tiny creatures in the tank. I did use a shower filling it up with hot water several times and pouring it all out. I managed to get one out by dipping some screwed up tissue paper next to it so it got stuck in the paper as I pulled it out.
Just a suggestion but you could try to find an extremely small mesh and run it through the water like a net to try remove them? But i don’t know how big they are so it may not work.

Just a suggestion but you could try to find an extremely small mesh and run it through the water like a net to try remove them? But i don’t know how big they are so it may not work.
Too small for that. Like 0.5mm

Anyway I'm keeping a close eye on it and if I see one again I will fish it out using a turkey baster.

It's kinda funny I was given a turkey baster as a present but had no intention of using it for thats purpose so I gave it to my brother who cooked a lot. I've had tons buy one from the pound shop for the purpose of collecting uneaten algea pellets for the shrimp however since I added the snails they eat all the leftover food.

Hi

I have removed the existing elodea Densa as suggested and put in guppy grass however the snails are all over it despite the algea waivers being enough to eat. Perhaps I have too many snails?? I wondered about having the grass hang or float somehow in the centre of the tank, this would make it much harder for the snails to get at it while leaving the shrimp capable of swimming to it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back