10 Rules For Healthy Fishkeeping.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fish keeping is more popular today than it ever was before. At present, while it still enjoys its indoor value as an absorbing pastime or just a personal hobby, it has developed beyond a long period of infancy into an organised industry which supports education, Research and trade.

No success can be achieved in Aquarium keeping unless the aquarium is well planned and properly stocked. This requires a certain degree of Scientific approach with regard to setting of the aquarium, selection of Fishes and Plants and their maintenance.

source : Printsasia.com/book/Aquarium-Fish-Keeping

This is the second thread (that I've seen) in which you've done this. Are you trying to get your book sold?

Hi All

recently renewed my interest in tropical fish from a young age so effectively starting again from scratch.

i have just bought a 95l tank which i set up and left for 10 days prior to getting any fish.
i bought 6 tetras to start which have now been in the tank approx. 3 days.
i did as advised by not feedeing for the 1st 24hr then only fed small amounts.
however none of the fish seem to have a very good appetite and are now looking rather lathargic.
is this common or is there a problem in my tank.

i have 3 oxygen eminating plants but no air stone fitted, could this be an issue?

Any advice given greatly received.

regards
Richy

Hi All

recently renewed my interest in tropical fish from a young age so effectively starting again from scratch.

i have just bought a 95l tank which i set up and left for 10 days prior to getting any fish.
however none of the fish seem to have a very good appetite and are now looking rather lathargic.

i have 3 oxygen eminating plants but no air stone fitted, could this be an issue?

regards
Richy
Hi Richy, :hi: to the forum.

Your problem is that your tank isn't 'cycled'. That means it doesn't have a colony of good bacteria living in the filter that eat the fish's wastes for you, so those are building up in the water and making the fish feel ill. Just running a tank won't cycle it; there needs to be a source of ammonia present for the bacteria to feed on before they'll start growing.

You need to do an immediate (sorry I didn't notice your post earlier; this isn't the best place for advice; might be a good idea for you to post in the 'Your New Freshwater Tank' forum in future!) large water change. Drain nearly all the water out, leaving just enough for the fish to swim upright, and refill with warm, dechlorinated water. Don't forget to switch of your heater and filter when you do this!

You'll probably be having to do that every day for the next month/six weeks or so, unless you can beg/buy/borrow some already mature media (that's all the stuff in the filter) from an established tank.

We have some great articles on 'The Nitrogen Cycle' and 'Fish-in Cycling' in our beginner's resource centre (the link for that is in my sig) which it might be a good idea for you to have a look at.

Hi All

regards
Richy
Hi Richy, :hi: to the forum.

Your problem is that your tank isn't 'cycled'. That means it doesn't have a colony of good bacteria living in the filter that eat the fish's wastes for you, so those are building up in the water and making the fish feel ill. Just running a tank won't cycle it; there needs to be a source of ammonia present for the bacteria to feed on before they'll start growing.

You need to do an immediate (sorry I didn't notice your post earlier; this isn't the best place for advice; might be a good idea for you to post in the 'Your New Freshwater Tank' forum in future!) large water change. Drain nearly all the water out, leaving just enough for the fish to swim upright, and refill with warm, dechlorinated water. Don't forget to switch of your heater and filter when you do this!

You'll probably be having to do that every day for the next month/six weeks or so, unless you can beg/buy/borrow some already mature media (that's all the stuff in the filter) from an established tank.

We have some great articles on 'The Nitrogen Cycle' and 'Fish-in Cycling' in our beginner's resource centre (the link for that is in my sig) which it might be a good idea for you to have a look at.

Hi Fluttermoth

Have been doing 50% changes every 2 days since set-up and adding Nutrafin Cycle.
i have several plants inside the tank.

I have done another water change today and now the fish seem to be a lot more lively.

is there any way of speeding up the nitrogen cycle or is it a case of taking my time and hoping that these fish survive?

Thanks for the reply
Richy

As long as your filter is disturbing the surface of the water, there's no need for additional aeration, so that's not an issue.

50% water changes every other day may not be enough to keep the toxins (ammonia and nitrite) at an acceptable level (which would be under 0.25ppm at all times); it's impossible to say unless you can get your water tested. I would recommend that you buy yourself a decent test kit ASAP, and by that I mean one that uses drops or tablets, not the paper strip kind; they're not very accurate.

Most of us have very little faith in those instant cycling products. I tried the Nutrafin Cycle once, because I got it free, and it did nothing of benefit; on the other hand there's no harm in adding it; you may be luckier than the rest of us!

The only real way to speed up a cycle is with some already mature media. If you have any friends with tanks, they can donate up to a third of their media without it affecting their tank, as long as it's replaced to the bacteria can recolonise. Some LFS (local fish shops) will give/sell you some if you ask nicely.

As long as your filter is disturbing the surface of the water, there's no need for additional aeration, so that's not an issue.

50% water changes every other day may not be enough to keep the toxins (ammonia and nitrite) at an acceptable level (which would be under 0.25ppm at all times); it's impossible to say unless you can get your water tested. I would recommend that you buy yourself a decent test kit ASAP, and by that I mean one that uses drops or tablets, not the paper strip kind; they're not very accurate.

Most of us have very little faith in those instant cycling products. I tried the Nutrafin Cycle once, because I got it free, and it did nothing of benefit; on the other hand there's no harm in adding it; you may be luckier than the rest of us!

The only real way to speed up a cycle is with some already mature media. If you have any friends with tanks, they can donate up to a third of their media without it affecting their tank, as long as it's replaced to the bacteria can recolonise. Some LFS (local fish shops) will give/sell you some if you ask nicely.

Hi Fluttermoth

Thanks for the response
Will nip down to my local stockist today and ask.
have bought a test kit and all levels look ok. (GH a bit high but inside stated limits)

Have read up on the fish in cycling so will start that today

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated
Richy

You're very welcome :)

Post some pics up in one of the forums 'up top' when you're happy with it, we love gawping at other people's tank here ;)

Interesting read anyway here is a question, how would you quarantine your new fish if you have only 1 tank can you get something you can put inside this tank to keep those fish seperate but not a small place obviously while you observe them. Any ideas a breeding trap i think is way to small and does stress the fish so what would you use ?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back