Zoanthid Poisoning

milkton

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi, i want to know the dangers of zoanthids before getting them. First off, how do they release the toxin that can damage you and what happens to you?
should i always wear gloves before putting my hands in the water? also i would greatly appreciate any type of advice on avoiding the toxin and stories of past experiences with them

thanks so much

Theres not much to worry about just dont handle them with open cuts on your hands or just wear gloves :)

Take a look at the coral of the week - zoas :good:

As a reef keeper you should keep Antihistamine in the medicine cupboard. If you start to experience itching, rash or swelling after having your hands in the tank then take one, monitor your symptoms but if they become worse seek medical attendtion. Most reefers at some point get tagged by something in their tank and at the worst get a slight itching or rash. However a small % of people are allergic to things we find in the tank, so just be aware.

Quote from Dark Stranger, Coral of the week.........................

'Word of Warning:
Some Zoa's contain Palytoxin which can cause an adverse reaction to some people. How much of this is the truth and if so, the quantities of the toxin you would need in your system are unclear, but an air of precaution is advisable, although I should follow my own advise, but daily handle Zoa's, including fragging them without ever having any issues.'

My hands often come out of the salty stuff, itching and I have been caught by my Nem on occassion - it's just a fact of the salty life for me!!

Seffie x

I dont mean to worry you here, but do take precaution as seffie said. Eric Borneman's friend died from fragging Zoas and putting his hand on his mouth because he had an itch, and got posioned.

YF

I dont mean to worry you here, but do take precaution as seffie said. Eric Borneman's friend died from fragging Zoas and putting his hand on his mouth because he had an itch, and got posioned.

YF

A very good point - always wash your hands after having them in your reef tank

Seffie x

ps I have just gone off and done a little research, it appears that it is ingestion of the toxin rather than getting it on the skin that may lead to serious health risks and in fact as YF said, death. However as I mentioned above, some people are allergic to these toxins and may well have an anaphylactic reaction. So:

Always keep antihistimine at home
Ensure your relatives know what to do if your face, mouth starts to swell
Don't wait to seek medical help if any type of swelling, puffiness, sickness starts
IF you have to seek medical help ensure they know that you have been in contact with a palytoxin

However, keep in mind a sense of proportion, In reality this is a rare occurance and can be avoided by wearing gloves and immediately washing the gloves or throwing them away after use. Not touching your face whilst working on the tank along with sensible precautions will keep you safe :good:

When I rearranged my tank I came into direct contact w/my Zoa polyps. I just made sure I didn't touch any other part of my body (face, eyes, mouth, etc) and washed my hands w/soap and water when I was done.

I read a story about a guys dog licking them in a bucket of water when a guy was moving them. The dog died. Something else to think and be aware of.

1. thanks for all the replys guys!! !!!!!!

for the antihistamine, do u think i can buy it at any drug store?

once, i was handling my star polyps and accidently bumped them with a rock they released some white liquid that dissolved into the water.. i quickly washed my hands without touching anything, but should that be the poison the star polyps released? and if zoa's do that, should that be the palytoxin?-- just a kinda out of topic question.

thx once again :good: :good: :D :D :D

You should be able to get topical antihistamine in your local drug store.

Benadryl or the like is an oral antihistamine which could also work.

I think something like a poison ivy cream would work?

Most reactions

Back