Zero The Betta, Rotting Fins?

sawickib

Fish Herder
Reaction score
He used to have very smooth circular fins, but it looks like they slowly rotted away, and turned reddish and little black dots making a weird affect. I rescued him from my sister and i actually take care of my fish so will having clean irrigated water make them grow back?
heres some photos of him from the top, cant get them from the side because hes in a plastic tub. He was originally just white and blue.

doesn't look like fin rot, betta can change colour over time, just keep the water clean and if you feel that there is something you can put in some methylene blue or pimaflex or metaflex (the one for the fin rot/redness) and it'll be good.

I mean he used to have a very large rounded maine, now its like sharp and broken, with red spots between them, i dont have a filter on right now hes just with a marbled crayfish, i do have melafix though, but what im saying is i wouldnt be able to remove it. Also have prime for slime coat... dought that will help

The colour is fine, don't add anything to the water - just keep it clean and his fins will grow back :)

I'd remove the crayfish, claws + fins are usually a bad idea :/
As has been said, lots of clean, warm water to heal his fins.

Well its a very peaceful species with small claws, they were both moved to the tank today so im seeing what happens, but its better than his old stale water 2.5 gallon im thinking. And the fins were like this beforehand, crayfish didnt do them.

sawickib said:
Well its a very peaceful species with small claws, they were both moved to the tank today so im seeing what happens, but its better than his old stale water 2.5 gallon im thinking. And the fins were like this beforehand, crayfish didnt do them.
Oh didn't mean the crayfish did it! Just would not be putting them together and giving the cray a chance to do anything.
I hope it works out.

O ok well yea im hoping it does to or he'll have to go back to a tiny tank.

Clean water dont over feed and leave him alone. Lights off for most of the time, this helps de-stress. A calm and relaxed betta will recover twice as fast than one that is constantly bothered, hands in tank, un necsary meds etc etc.
-

Ok thanks, i have a little LED in the tank that barely lights up the thing, 75% of the tank is dark, he just prefers the light. :/ for some reason lol

I do not ever recommend putting any medication with the words that end in "fix" in a tank with a betta.  These medications have tea tree oil in them and can harm the betta's labyrinth organ.  

Clean warm water will allow fins to heal back and medication is not needed.  However since you do not have a filter on this tank, you will need to be doing 100% water changes frequently to keep the water clean.

While these crays are mainly vegetarians, all crays are opportunistic and will go after fins if given a chance so I do not recommend keeping them with a betta for any length of time.  The 2.5 gallon tank would be perfectly fine for the betta as long as water changes are done on a regular basis and it is heated. 

I don't know if there is anything wrong with yours or not.... But mine used to be rounded too and then as he grew it went jagged too.

Wildbetta said:
While these crays are mainly vegetarians, all crays are opportunistic and will go after fins if given a chance so I do not recommend keeping them with a betta for any length of time.  The 2.5 gallon tank would be perfectly fine for the betta as long as water changes are done on a regular basis and it is heated. 
I cant have the betta in anything else but a pickel jar or a .5 gallon tank that he used to be in (saved from my sister) she had two and i took the blue one in the pics and put it back in the 2.5 because i liked the other one more :p i did do a 100% water change for her though shes so lazy for when theres no work involved :/ And i do keep the crayfish well feed although she eats ALOT.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back