Zebra Plecos!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ltygress

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
As promised, I tried to get some photos of the zebra plecos in the tank. The tank is MOSTLY blocked from viewing. It sits in a corner of the room with the sofa right beside it. So only one short end is actually exposed. Both long ends and the other short end are against the wall or sofa. Above it sits a 37-gallon on the same metal stand. The 37-gallon can be seen above the side of the sofa, but the 20-gallon long that the plecos are in, can not. I did this on purpose to give the plecos lots of privacy (they still get a light during the day, so as not to confuse them between day and night). However, because of my 2.5-gallon bucket spill yesterday including baby guppies, the sofa has been pushed away to let the carpeting dry completely.

However, these guys ARE nocturnal, and hiding for the daytime. Except one. So for the most part, you only get to see the set-up itself.

IMG_20151009_105004_zps6x2ig7j5.jpg

The cave set-up. There are two chocolate-colored caves you can barely see on the bottom, and then two caves that aren't even in the shot. These were purchased from plecocaves.com in the 1" and 1.5" sizes. I got two of every shape in each size - one in chocolate, the other in "brown" (which is really tan). I didn't want any red. If you notice the one on top in the center has a tiny piece of java fern stuck to it. I hooked it around one of the "imperfections" in the clay so hopefully it will take hold and start growing along that cave. Also, you can see a zebra pleco fin in between the light and dark large round ones on the bottom. That's actually TWO of them together, clinging to the outsides of the cave. But they're trying to hide, anyway.

IMG_20151009_105013_zpssfgfhwwb.jpg

The one who isn't trying to hide. I've read that these guys LOVE strong water currents, but he chose a quiet spot behind this filter.

IMG_20151009_105038_zpsgwhunix6.jpg

Same guy, different angle. Poor filter is sucking up all of my loose plant pieces. You can see the second power filter in the background of this one. The closer one is actually the "water current" filter and has no media in it right now. It's just there to make the current stronger.

IMG_20151009_105108_zpsqqvmp5cs.jpg

The entire blurry set-up, with the beautiful white betta fish. Unfortunately, I stirred up the sand replanting loose stems before getting this pic, so it looks cloudy AGAIN. It was totally clear before I did that too! :-(

That looks amazing.
I want one

Hello my new best friend, do I now qualify for friends rates? I want 1.

Lmao! It will be a pain to get them to you! But if you ever visit the states, we'll see what I can do to help Australia get a new breeder....

These are lovely fish, lucky you. Nice set up.
How many have you got?

Five at the moment. I'm hoping I'll get at least one pair out of these five.

However, these guys ARE nocturnal, and hiding for the daytime.
My BN's know 6 pm is feeding time and they come to the from of the tank,  When I give them fresh veg they swim up to it, Its rare for a bit of veg to hit the bottom of the tank without a BN on it, and usually its the female.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back