Zebra Danios- Is This Is A Male?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

gemb

Reaction score
hi there,

i have just got today 5 zebra danios, 4 of them are silver and one looks yellow with the same stripes down but a yellow tinge, is this one a male ? x

thanks gem x

I don't know about coloring, but if the zebra's have similar differences between the sexes as Giant Danios... then I know that with giant's, the males are much thinner and taller. The females will have a much rounder, "torpedo" like shape. The males are usually a bit bigger in overall size as well :good: Hope this helps

Yep sounds like a male - the male has smaller yellow stripes between his black lines than the female, whereas the females have a background of silver. Females also tend to be rounder and more wide. I have x 6 which I bought very small which by sheer luck turned out to be x 3 males and x 3 females - they breed non stop!

You will soon have lots of babies as they are prolific breeders. Zebra Danios are somewhat unique, as they are quite loyal to their chosen mate. Mated pairs remain together, and rarely spawn with others, even if one mate dies.

Most reactions

Back