Zebra Danios, Harlequin Rasbora, What Next?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

fish_fanatic

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site but I'll do my best to give you all the info I can :D
I have a 48L tank and currently own 5 Zebra Danios and 5 Harlequin Rasboras (I did have a betta but it died any I don't want another really). I am very new to fish keeping and was wondering what fish you would recommend that both look great and are compatible with my fish.
Thanks for your help...
fish_fanatic :)

PS I have a filtering system, 2 plastic plants/ornaments. I also don't want any other animals in the tank but fish.

Once fully grown, those 10 remaining fish will have a body length (excluding fins) of ~17" which is probably going to be too much for your tank to handle (48 litres= 10.5 gallon). Your current fish will need a tank twice as big, which even then leaves very little surplus for any new fish.

For the sake of the fish, please keep a very close eye (once a day) on the ammonia and nitrite readings, as you are likely to need very frequent water changes to keep them alive.
wink.gif

Thanks for your advice but 48L is actually more like 12.5 gallons :)
At all 4 pets hops I have visited they have said I can have up to 30 fish of this size in my tank :p
I am now confused:S
Thanks anyway

Google "litres to gallons conversions" ... Every one I tried is saying 48 litres is a fraction over 10.5 imperial gallons
wink.gif

What are the dimensions of your tank?

30 fish, err yeah whatever, perhaps 30 baby Endlers, but if they survived to be adults they would be overstocked.

Its not the size of the fish when you buy them that is important, its what size they will become when adults!
wahey.gif

I personally wouldnt keep zebra danios in a 48L tank.

As I'm sure you have noticed they are extremely active and require decent swimming space. I'd recommend a bare minimum of 20 us gallons for danios although more like 30 gal would be ideal.

48L is 10.6 imperial gallons and 12.7 US gallons.

Andy

Sorry about that I thought you ment in US gallons :) my fault :blush:
Length:16 inches
Height:13 inches
Width:14 inches :)

Just out of interest I used this site:
http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
And it say I have only stocked to 83%
Thanks

Andy thanks for your advice.
Again at all petshops Zebra DAnios have been recommended. They seem very active (as you say) but seem perfectly fine in my tank :). Maybe I'm just lucky:p
Thanks

Of course petshops will advise you to put them in, they are making money when you buy them!!

NEVER listen to petshops advice, number 1 rule. 90% of the time its complete b*ll*cks.

You are much better using this forum for any stocking queries or suggestions.

Andy

OK Andy Thank You really but my danios are fine and I can't exactly get rid of them :) Also most other forums I use have said that it's ok to stock Danios. I am strill very grateful for your opinion though :p

I agree with others about the Danios but just keep an eye on them.
Not much room for much else but you could add some Dwarf Corydoras and Cherry/Amano Shrimp.
As for NEVER listening to shops advice, it's more a case of finding a shop that gives out good advice. They really aren't all that bad, it's just up to you to find a decent one. :good:

As the danios will get to 2.5 inches long you definitely don't want to be adding more mid-swimming fish to the tank. They and the harlequins need plenty of zoom room, especially when they get older! Personally I wouldn't put danios into less than 15 imperial gallons.

At most I would add a shoal of small corys - 6 panda corys or pygmy corys.

Pet shops will always try to make things seem easier and more awesome than they actually are. They'll tell you setting up a tank is easy, that you don't need to cycle it (or they'll give you a rubbish version of "cycling" that is fast and doesn't work), they'll try to sell you quick start products for the tank that don't work and above all else, they'll recommend too many fish and fish that get too big.

Before you even consider adding more fish, make sure your tank is ready. How long have you had it running for? Do you have a heater? Have you tested for ammonia and nitrites and crucially, do you have your own test kit (liquid, preferably)?

Assaye,
actually the local aquatics shop have been very helpful and said they wouldn't sell fish until the tank was fully cycled. They test your water on purchase, but I have my own liquid test kits. OH and OF COURSE I have a filter :p

and a heater

How can any decent pet shop actually say "you can get 30 fish" when they come in so many different sizes. You might be a complete numpty and put 30 Discus in there!

I'm also actually trying to think of a fish that's so small (when fully grown) that you could have 30 in a 48L!

Most reactions

Back