zebra danios bent

Madi's Platy

Reaction score
Over the past month we have lost 3 zebra danios and it looks like 2 more are going to die. Their bodies just started to look bent, their tails just shot up in the air when they were staying still. They had no other symptoms aside from becoming less active. We have also just lost a platy, she looked like she just wasted away and eventually couldn't even keep herself balanced so we had to euthanize her. She too, never showed any other signs of illness.

Water parameters are 0 on ammonia, nitrite, nitrate PH just under 7 temp was about 76, but I just raised it to 80.
We don't add chemicals, but did treat for ich on April 26th.
Tank mates are currently 5 platys, 5 red and blue columbian tetras, 4 corys and 9 zebra danios.
tank size is a 45 gallon tall
most recently added fish were 5 of the danios we adopted from a friend just about a month ago, but after the first fish showed signs of bending.

Being a paranoid person, I've convinced myself that it is t.b., but everything that I have read says that there are usually ulcers with this. If anyone has any suggestions/thoughts I would really appreciate the help.

:no: sorry cant help but want to get in on this thread, i'm having the same problem, stats all the same as yours, but having the same problem, i also started looking at fish tb, and from what i can gather ulcers are optional!!! However most literature suggested fish tb is rare but appears to be on the increase, hang in there, i know exactly how you feel.

edit: might just be coincidence (sp) but i have also treated recently for ick, which brand med did you use, not going to cause a law suit though, probably just coincidence!!!!!

we used jungle brand ick guard. It says one dose will work, but we had to dose twice?
Anyone here with experience with t.b?? I've been reading that it isn't all that uncommon anymore also.

Anyone have any ideas? We just lost one of the danios that started looking bent, they go pretty quickly once you can see the bend.

I really don't know sorry but I will bump this back up for u :) Maybe it could be Neon Tetra Disease (which other tetras and I believe also others like danios can get). Symptoms include a bent spine, sluggishness, & losing colouration in certain patches or generally, & sometimes difficulty swimming, + they can get cysts/ulcers, too. I think this is a parasitic problem but I could be wrong. False Neon Tetra Disease is bacterial but I believe it shows much the same symptoms.

I highly doubt the Ich meds could have caused this - probably they were a little stressed in the first place (maybe by the addition of new fish/new fish moving home) & this caused them to pick up Ich, & the stress from that lowered their immunity even more....hence this disease now.

Anyways, hopefully someone else will come along & post something more useful. Goodluck :)

Most reactions

Back