Zebra Danio's Acting Odd

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Igniseus

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently cycled my tank and then acquired 6 zebra danios in 2 batches (3 a week). They instantly started flying all over having fun, swimming all areas. However recently, after 2 weeks (possibly after adding my 2nd lot, which are long-finned gold variants), they have started to act really shy.

I have a ship, and behind it in the corner there is a largish empty space, which is very hidden and secret thanks to the tall ship and surrounding fake plants. It is in this place which most of the 6 danio's are spending the majority of their time, and when they do come out they usually stick to the bottom of the tank.

Occasionally some do come out and chase each other around, but nothing like before.

There's another (crazy?) possibility. At some point I added in an air pump (doesn't bother them), but i had to raise the gravel level around it, so i stole quite a lot from the corner they hide in, so the ground level is much, much lower there.

Other than that I'm not sure.
I cant see any signs of illness, though their my first fish so I cant be sure.
Temperature is about 25C.
I've tried varying it from about 23-25C.
Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate seem to be pretty much 0.0.
I add Seachem Prime every water change.
Cables inside the tank seem to sort of have a slimey skin or something.
The bottom of the heater is where they hide too, and is also where the intake is for the filter.
I've been feeding 2-3 times a day, an amount they pretty much consume in 1-3 minutes.
Tank size is 60L (2ft long).

Anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks

Just to add, here are my observations from a water change I just did.

Turned off filter and removed about 25-40% of water. After doing this fish seemed more active. So either they were scared, preferred the lower water level, or preferred the filter off, or something else.

Filled water back up with fresh water (de-chlorinated)....back to hiding.

Not that i should be making noise or vibrations, but if i close a drawer in the cabinet below, or close the tank lid a bit too hard, the fish all come out to play for a short while then return.

Looking in the tank with my head very close also seemed to attract a bit of attention.

Thanks

They seem to chase each other like crazy in the secret corner..... I wonder if the long-finned ones are bothering the normal ones or vice versa?

A fully cycled tank with no live plants should have a nitrate reading of some sort, what kind of test kit are you using and how old is it?

I have danios as well and mine swim all levels of the tank, but spend most of their time darting in and out of the plants. They do come to the top of the tank anytime I'm near it and that's pretty normal since they quickly learn to associate people with food.

A fully cycled tank with no live plants should have a nitrate reading of some sort, what kind of test kit are you using and how old is it?

I have danios as well and mine swim all levels of the tank, but spend most of their time darting in and out of the plants. They do come to the top of the tank anytime I'm near it and that's pretty normal since they quickly learn to associate people with food.
mine do aswell but when i add new fish they hide for a day or two so yours might just be a bit shy towards new fish they problay settle down. but are you sure that your test kit was working

mine do aswell but when i add new fish they hide for a day or two so yours might just be a bit shy towards new fish they problay settle down. but are you sure that your test kit was working

Most reactions

Back