Zebra Danio swimming funny - please help

rachandmike

Reaction score
Hi all,

please help as we have a Zebra danio that is swimming very oddly, its tail is curved downwards and its not moving easily. It wont eat and has a white patch on its side. some of the white patch seems to have gone red too.

what should we do? we dont have another tank to put it in or anything so advice is welcomed!!

Thanks for the reply,

the fish is in an almost vertical position and seems to swim in circles in the tank.

I would say that yes it is stuggling to keep balance.

the tank is 3 weeks old and we have tested it tonight (after doing aa water change yesterday) and the levels are

Nitrate - 10
Amonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 2
and the PH is 8

I know the tank is not cycled yet as thats why we have the danios there.

The outstanding symptom is the spinal curvature.

we are worried about the little fella!
:(

tb is also noticeable with a concave belly.
the nitrite is too high, so maybe doing more water changes to bring that under 1 may help. there are viruses that make fish swim erratically and if the fish is missing electrolytes it can swim like this too.

Try treating the tank with some anti internal bacterial med for the swim bladder disorder in the danio, but you may have to put down the danio as swim bladder disorders are very hard to cure as the fish will find find it harder and harder to aim for food to eat; buying a breeding net and moving it to it will help as the fish will find it easier in to maintain balance in the shallow water.
Feeding it freezedried foods like bloodworms/tubifex/daphinia/krill etc will be good for the fish too as they stay floating in the water for longer making them easier to eat, they will also give your fish more energy but be careful not to overfeed.
I have a feeling that your other fish has coloumnaris which changes its appearance as it worsens, at worst your fish has fish tb but i'd try treating the fish for columnaris first as this is more likely.
This link contains an article below on reconising colomnaris, treating it and preventing it in the furture;

http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm

I would also advise you do some water changes, a 50% one would be good right now to help improve the water conditions a bit better, this will also help your fish get over their illnesses easier if the water quality is good.
Avoid buying anymore fish until your tank has cycled and your fish are healthy, good luck :thumbs:

thanks all but it died during the night. I will be doing a 50% water change this evening so hopefully that will help to sort out the water some what.

:(

Most reactions

Back