yum yum!

steppy104

Grarr
Reaction score
i jus tried a new snack for my bettas...flightless fruit flies. 2 of them could care less, 1 seems to like about 3...then he don't want no more, and the other can't seem to get enough!

what other living things can you feed to bettas as snacks?

In the wild they eat mosquito's.

male-crown-marble.jpg

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I also got a wingless fruit fly culture from "The Bug Farm", 2 of my Bettas didn't really take to them. 2 of my new bettas ate them like there was no tomorrow. My community tank goes CRAZY for them. I've started up a new culture now as they say the cultures only last about a month before they start to peeter out. They are a very healthy meal for Bettas, and a local Thai breeder I know uses them to condition his fish for spawning.

Linda

I feed the live fruit flies to my breeders but the male really doesn't like them. The only complain I have is getting them out of the jar ...they bounce everywhere! I try tapping the jar a couple of times to make the flies dizzy,but I still feel like they're crawling all over me after I feed the fish :blink:

You can feed all kinds of live foods steppy, you can set up a little pot of water covered with leaves and you'll have live bloodwoms in no time. This is risky though because you have no idea where the blood in the bloodworms came from. You can also feed live blackworms or grindal worms or daphnia.

I feed my betta live blackworms and frozen bloodworms. The day i gave him blackworms for the first time he made a bubble nest

blackworms?i just went to petsmart today and looked thru all the live food they had, and all i seen was large mealworms, medium mealworms, bloodworms (which looked too big for the bettas?), and night crawlers in a fridge, and some kinda nasty things that looked like huge mealworms on a shelf. thats where i found the fruit flies. *luvmybeta*, sounds like you have fun gettin them out. lol. i bought the flies in a vial thats got a piece of foam snugged in the end, so that you can let air cirulate, but they don't get out. all i gotta do to get them out is slightly pull one side of the foam out and wait for a flie or 2 to come sneaking out. then it either crawls on my finger or on the end of the vial and i jus blow it into the water, or it jumps off and lands itself in the water. it's amusing watching the beta tear at them things.

Am I the only one grossed out? I don't like bugs..any bugs!

Does anyone who really dislikes bugs do this (feed live bugs to their fish)? ...or are all of you not normally freaked by bugs in real life as I am?

Am I the only one grossed out?
No. No you are not alone. As tastey as my bettas might think live food is, there's no way I could bring myself to do it. But they are happy enough on the other foods I feed them. :) Nice bright colors. Bubble nests, etc.

Cali said:
Am I the only one grossed out? I don't like bugs..any bugs!

Does anyone who really dislikes bugs do this (feed live bugs to their fish)? ...or are all of you not normally freaked by bugs in real life as I am?
to give newborn fry the best chance at life you should feed them live food. it's just natural. baby brine shrimp aren't really gross and vinegar eels aren't that bad either ;)

ahhhh my house is crawling with worms :p ,fruit fly cultures crawling with maggots,meal worm cultures for the turtle and the bettas,microworms and grindals for betta fry ,earthworms in the fridge for my midas :p Not to mention a freezer full of worms :p

But yeah, bugs do gross me out :crazy: :dunno:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back